"I think you're being a bit dramatic there."

Rolling his eyes, Alex let out a laugh. His hand clasped on her shoulder for a fleeting moment before leaving her room without another word. He was more than happy for his sister; in fact, he was over the moon at the idea that someone could finally show her the love and appreciation he knew she deserved. But the underlying protective brother in him wanted her to stay home, never speak to any man that could hurt her. But she was an adult. She was a woman who could make her own life and her own decisions. He refused to be like their father.

The two went to sleep that night on empty stomachs. Mags was too nervous to stomach any food, and Alex was too tired to make anything for just himself. Their nights were sleepless, filled with nightmares. While each day became easier, the nights were the loneliest. She would wake up in a sweat, tears streaming from her face and a dull ache in her left temple. Blake's face still haunted her every time she began to drift into sleep. The German pilot and soldier she had stabbed still haunted her. If she thought long and hard enough, she could still feel their blood leaking from their necks and onto her hands. The young French girl's eyes still bore into her when she had a passing thought of children.

Alex still had nightmares of his friends. The bombs that would explode near him or the artillery shells that took out handfuls of men at once. He saw the men he held until their dying breaths, the tears they let out and the prayers they spoke. Everyone was a saint when they were thrust upon Death's door. He would wake up, gasping for breath, clutching at his neck for the imaginary hands that held him down. Neither would speak of their nightmares; it was a mutual understanding.

Upon the morning, Mags was up with a nervous smile. Her stomach rumbled with unease. As she stared into her closet, her right foot tapped rapidly. The green gown or the white button up with the beige trousers? Decisions, decisions. The green gown might seem a bit too formal and noticeable but the trousers might be a bit too casual and not as inviting. Letting out a soft sigh, she let her body collapse back onto the bed. Why should she care about what she's dressed in? He's seen her in far worse states than he would see her today. Her fingers reached up to graze against the ridged scar on her temple.

"Mags, you want any breakfast before your date?" Alex called from their kitchen.

"No, thank you!" She shouted back. Standing up, she grabbed the button up and trousers and began undressing. After pulling on the ensemble, she looked over herself in the vanity mirror. She flattened out her shirt as she continued nitpicking every detail she wasn't quite content with. Taking a seat at her vanity, she pulled out her baby pink lipstick and gently applied it, not wanting it to be too striking. She applies a soft wash of blush before pushing a piece of honey hair out of her face. Pulling her hair out of its loose bun, she began to work on her loose braid.

Before she moves from the desk, she opens the top right drawer. The cork necklace stares up at her, as does the small tin of cigarettes that Sepoy Jondalar had given her. Fond memories fill her mind. 'If we had a world full of soldiers, there'd be no love.' Those words had stuck with her. Her fingertips gently grazed against the tin case. She hadn't opened it since he had given it to her; it had nearly been five months since she had touched a cigarette and she hadn't any plans on losing that.

Shaking her head, she shoved the cork necklace into the purse she had tied around the chair. Mags slings the purse over her shoulder. It almost gives her a flashback to her times spent slinging her medical pack over her shoulder; though this purse is much lighter on her.

She leaves her bedroom and quickly makes her way into the kitchen of their small flat. Her brother stands at the gas stove, cooking some eggs. His smile widens as he turns to his sister. "Well, don't you look classy today." He crosses his arms over his chest as he takes a bit from his toast. "You sure you don't want any? I put pepper on them this time."