7. The First Demon

Start from the beginning

Emperor of Taishan, Min Yuguan, although was an adept ruler, was not blessed with a lot of sons. He only had two sons, both born from his Consorts. The Empress bore him two daughters and she did not have any opinion as to which son should be titled Crown Prince. However, she ruled with an iron hand and suppressed the birth mothers of the two princes, so much the two Consorts could not scheme to alleviate their sons' status.

But from what the rumors said, although the two princes looked harmonious on the surface, the fight for the position of the next ruler had begun for years. The two had not married as well, each of the princes' faction wanted to choose the best noble clan's daughter whose family could add considerable power to each prince's claim for the throne.

Perhaps, the Empress laughed from behind the screen because of this, but the Emperor let his sons to do what they please. As long as they did not go overboard and harm the country and the people, Emperor Min Yuguan thought it would be a good for the princes to scheme a little, think a little. To split the power between the two factions was not a bad approach either, lest the future ruler of Taishan could not be constrained when needed.

Qin Zhe spoke to Xu Yejing, "Do not be afraid. I will greet them and won't let them get inside the room."

Xu Yejing nodded and gripped tightly on her veil.

Although Xu Yejing was mute, she had very good eyesight and sense of hearing to make up for her disability. She could hear voices from Qin Zhe's garden, a few male voices she had never heard before.

"Qin Zhe, this prince was with eldest brother and your cousins when we met Madame Qin and your younger sister when they were shopping at Cloud Brocade. I heard you are home-sitting alone, so here we are wanting to keep you company."

"What is with your heavily guarded courtyard, cousin? I heard from the steward that you have a guest. Is there a need to put so many servants and your house guards for this guest?"

"Cousin, it is not my liberty to divulge," Qin Zhe's voice could be heard, "My guest's circumstances do not allow me to introduce this person to anyone."

Xu Yejing noticed Qin Zhe did not disclose her gender.

"Surely this 'anyone' does not include us, your good friends, Qin Zhe?"

"Cousin, between us, what can you not show us? What kind of guest you are hiding?"

"I really cannot, Your Highness! Your Highness!" Qin Zhe's voice became more frantic, "Guards, stop them!"

Xu Yejing rolled her eyes and retreated towards the back of the room. Qin Zhe's protests and orders would just fall on deaf ears. If the guards really dared to stop the two princes, than that would be too wondrous. She gripped the pouch in her hand and wondered if she should open it now. However, waiting for another cultivator to come to her aid would be too late anyway.

Fu Yan and Fu Chun, on behalf of the Flaming Cauldron Sect, always told her she must not show her face to anyone apart from her family members. Even Qin Zhe and Qin Qiu had not seen her real face before. She wondered the real reason behind this.

Although she knew her appearance was above average, beautiful even, she was still just fourteen. Marquis Xu and Lady Jin had never seemed to want her to be well-known either. Although Xu Birou had received her fair share of marital proposals for Lady Jin and Marquis Xu to consider, Xu Yejing was still idle.

Casting one last look at the brush she had just put on the table, Xu Yejing let the two maids shield her behind their bodies and waited.

The door opened with a creak, and the figures entering the room cast long shadows on the wooden floor.