Hatch Day / No More Doubts

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Is today really the day? I'm kinda scared, nervous and excited at the same time. Will she have some of my features; or will she look more like a penguin? I know she's mine, but I need her to have something from me so the doubt in my subconscious will go away. I've been ignoring it, but I know Penny can tell that I still have them. It's like I'm saying I don't thrust penny. It hurts that my subconscious even considered doubting her. But it doesn't matter what my subconscious thinks. She's mine and Penny's, and I'll love her just as much as the penguin I fell in love with." He thought.

He had already poured the sunflower seeds into the bowl and was about to pour the kelp juice, when...

"SWIFT! SWIFT, COME QUICK!" He heard Penny call out to him.

He dropped the juice box and quickly flew back to the bedroom. When he got there, he saw Penny staring at the egg with a big smile on her beak. His heart jumped as he flew over and sat next to her. When he looked at the egg, it shook and a small crack appeared on it. Swift and Penny gasped. They were excited and nervous to finally see their chick. A few more shakes and cracks and the shell finally fell apart, revealing the chick. Swift and Penny's eyes and beak widened in awe at her appearance.

She had features of both penguin and blue jay. Her body was that of a penguin, but the rest of her features were of a blue jay. Dark blue and white feathers, but it wasn't as dark as a penguin or as light as a blue jay. Her face was like a penguin's, but had the zig-zag pattern of a blue jay. She had head feathers in the middle like Swift, but they looked like Penny's side feathers. They went from the dark blue to light blue, with yellow ends. She also had small side feathers that went from dark blue to light blue ends. Her body was dark blue with white chest feathers, and she had the tail feathers of a blue jay, which went from dark blue to light blue. She had flippers, gray legs, a gray beak, and bright blue eyes.

She looked up at her parents with a confused look, before smiling at them.

Swift and Penny were speechless. It took a while for them to recover and Penny was the first to speak up.

"Awww~. Swift... she's... she's..."

"Beautiful... and perfect." Swift said through happy tears.

Penny looked at him and smiled. She looked back at the chick to see her with her arms stretched out towards them; a gesture saying she wanted to be picked up. Penny continued to smile as she turned to the blue jay next to her, who seemed to still be processing the chick's appearance.

"Go ahead, Swift." She gently told him. "Pick up your daughter."

Swift looked to Penny then back at the chick who was smiling and reaching out to them. He gulped and slowly reached out to her then gently picked her up and cradled her to his chest. He brought his free hand in front of her, causing her to grab and play with it.

Swift smiled and softly chuckled at her actions.

Penny smiled at the interaction, before speaking as gently as possible to Swift.

"So... no more doubts, right?" she asked.

Swift froze and eyes widened at that. He frowned and continued to look at the chick in his wing to avoid eye contact with his mate.

"I..." he let out a sigh. "I'm sorry, Penny. I didn't really doubt it, I just..." He didn't know what else to say, still avoiding eye contact.

Penny giggled then leaned in to kiss his cheek. He blushed and looked at her.

"It's ok. Like I said before; I'd feel the same if I was in your place. It shouldn't have been possible for us to have an egg; so a little doubt is normal. I'm just happy she came out with some of your features to make them go away. So, I ask again... no more doubts, right?"

Swift smiled and leaned in to kiss her forehead, before resting his on hers and nuzzling her.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Swift asked.

Penny giggled. "Stop trying to dodge the question, Swift." she laughingly told him.

Swift chuckled, then looked down at the chick in his wing, who had fallen asleep. He smiled and finally answered.

"No more doubts." He looked at Penny. "Definitely, no more doubts."

Penny smiled and nuzzled her cheek against his, before looking down at their chick in his wing.

"What should we name her?" she asked.

"Well... considering it shouldn't have been possible for us to have her, and it was pretty much a miracle that we did. So I'm thinking -"

"Miracle." Penny finished for him. Swift smiled and nodded.

"I was thinking the same thing too. And for the same reason." She told him.

"Miracle it is." Swift stated as they both looked down at her.

"Welcome to the world, our little Miracle." they both said to the sleeping chick.

After a moment of comfortable silence of them admiring their daughter, Penny softly spoke up.

"Now, we just need to find out if she's a flier or a swimmer, and if she squawks or tweets." Penny stated.

Swift chuckled. "We'll have plenty of time to find that out." he replied.

"I know. I was just voicing my thoughts." Penny playfully stated.

Swift laughed at that before kissing and nuzzling her.

"I love you, Penny. Never change." he told her.

Penny giggled. "I love you, too, Swift." she replied, as she nuzzled back.

---

Aaaannnd, that's it for this one. So this is my take on what Swift and Penny's chick would look like. Although, now that I've introduced her, be on the lookout for more stories that will have her included. Some might even be focusing on her life as a Penjay (Penguin bluejay).

I'd like to clarify some things.
1. If you're wondering how they knew the gender before the egg hatched; in the show, they somehow already know the gender, so I went with that.
2. Considering it would be natural for Swift to have a bit of doubt since it should have been impossible for them to have an egg; I used some real-life instances to help with writing this, where some men who have been told they couldn't/ wouldn't be able to have kids because of some medical condition, end up having despite being told they couldn't.

But I hope you enjoyed this. Feedback always greatly appreciated.