I'm Sorry / Didn't Mean to Hurt You

Here's another short for you guys. I had originally planned to make this a story, but I couldn't think of a story-line for it. But just clarify, if you remember my earlier snippet  'Seeing Double', and if you've seen the movie 'Parent Trap' (which this idea is inspired from) then you might have a slight idea of what happened to cause the incident in this story.

Enjoy!

---

"Swift... I... *pauses for a moment* I'm so, SO sorry!" Penny apologized as she looked up at the upset blue-jay in the tree, who was looking down at her. "I... I didn't mean... I didn't mean to hurt you. I was just... I thought..." she turned away from the blue-jay to look to the ground. She couldn't look him in the eyes. All she saw was hurt and betrayal because of what she did. "I... I'll understand... i-if you don't want anything to do with me anymore." she said between sobs.

Swift looked down at the sobbing penguin with a slight worried expression, then flew down and landed in front of her.

"Penny..." he said softly, as he knelt before her while placing his right index feather under her beak, and gently made her look to him again. Her eyes were watery and he knew she was doing her best to keep it in.

"What you did... it really hurt." her eyes got even more teary. "And although I am... conflicted with how I feel about it, it doesn't change how I feel about you." Now her tears really started to fall. She couldn't hold them in anymore.

"But *sob* I hurt you. I *sob* promised myself *sob* I would never *sob* do that." Penny cried.

"But you didn't do it on purpose. You were being you. You were being the cheeky, teasing and playful penguin I know and love." Swift said caressing her cheek and wiping her tears. "This one was just one of those with an outcome you weren't expecting. Do you want to know why I'm hurt?"

Penny nodded.

"If I had already known about your cousin, I wouldn't have taken it as hard as I am. I'm hurt, because I didn't know there was another penguin on the island, so I had no reason to believe I wasn't taking to you. But... the feelings I was getting when I was around her, - who I thought was you - confused me. At one time, I wanted to be close to you and other times wanted to keep my distance and not cross the boundaries I had already crossed. I felt like I was going back to being 'just friends' with you. Although I followed what I was feeling, the reason I'm hurt, is because I felt like I was cheating on you, but I was doing it unknowingly. Either way, it made me feel like I was being unfaithful to you." he explained.

He then gently rest his forehead against hers, his eyes closed and hand still on her cheek. Penny also closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath, the warmth of his contact causing her to relax.

"We have a bond, Penny. Whether or not I know it's you, or someone pretending to be you, I will know. Not by looking, but how I feel around them. I'm drawn towards you, Penny. No-one else. Although you made a mistake by doing something you thought would be fun, you're still my penguin, and I'm still your blue-jay, and I love you with all my heart." Swift finalized and hugged her to ease her worry.

Penny began to sob again upon hearing that.

"I *sob* I l-love you, t-too, Swift. Thank you. You r-really are the best. I d-don't think I c-could ever have asked for a better mate." she replied, as she returned the hug and nuzzled under his beak.

They stayed in the embrace in comfortable silence for a while, until Swift spoke up.

"You know..." He began, as he broke the hug so they could look at each other. "Although things didn't turn out the way you hoped, you still got the result you wanted."

Penny tilted her head in slight confusion. Swift smiled then lightly chuckled.

"That I'm able to tell my penguin apart from any other penguin." he stated, kissing her forehead.

Penny giggled. He always knew how to cheer her up. One of the many reasons why she loved him.

"True. Although I'm happy to know that... it's not worth what it almost cost me." Penny sadly replied.

"Which is?" Swift curiously asked.

"... Your trust..." She replied. "A relationship is built on trust. And... although at the time, I thought what I did would have been fun, it almost cost me the love and trust of the bird I love."

Swift smiled at this. "A relationship also grows on the forgiveness of mistakes. All relationships have their ups and downs, Penny... and we just had our first 'down' to learn from and better our relationship. No relationship is perfect. Mistakes will be made, whether they are intentional or not. You were just being your fun loving self in this mistake."

"I know. But trust me... I did learn from this. Again, I'm really sorry I put you through that. Hurting you is the last thing I'd ever think of doing. It won't happen again... I promise." Penny stated.

Swift shook his head. "Don't promise that, Penny. Because it is possible for it happen again. Our relationship won't grow unless there are challenges. There will be times where we'll hurt each other, and have to make things right again. Don't let this stop you from being yourself and doing what you love to do. Don't let this stop you from being my cheeky, teasing, and playful penguin. That's what I want you to promise." he stated with a smile.

Penny giggled. "Ok. I promise." she said, as she nuzzled her head under his beak and hugged him, at which he returned the hug. "I promise to always be myself." she whispered.

--

Hope you enjoyed this one.

Ok... so if you didn't get what happened, basically the cadets didn't know Penny's cousin was visiting. So Penny thought it would be fun to switch with her cousin off and on around Swift, and the results wasn't what she was hoping for. 

So... yea.