Chapter 1 - Welcome To New York

Start from the beginning

"Yes?" The woman said in a robotic tone.

"I would like a room please," I said, as she rolled her eyes.

"$20 for a night," she said.

I took $20 dollars from the money that Alberto gave me before I escaped and handed them to her. She quickly took them and handed me a key.

"Second floor, room 245."

I nodded and walked toward the stairs. A cracking voice came out as I walked up the stairs, telling me that this building was going to collapse any moment.

I took a right and started looking for room 245. Once I found it, I quickly put the key into the hole and stepped inside, locking the door behind me. I carefully inspected the room, making sure no one was inside.

Living with Giovanni for a few years made me a paranoid person.

I placed my handbag on the bed and sighed in relief. For the first time ever, I felt independent and I was proud of myself that I reached that far without being caught. I just hoped that I'd make it to the Gonzalez's before Giovanni found me.

The real obstacle was getting the address of the Gonzalez's. I didn't have a phone nor a laptop, so searching the net was a little hard. I needed to find a place that has public computers for people to use if there's even one.

I looked at the clock hanging on the wall and it read 9:00A.M. I haven't slept in a very long time and I wanted to sleep for just a little bit, but I was too scared to close my eyes. I didn't know that place and I had never been outside of Italy, and I didn't trust anything around me, even if the door was locked.

I decided to go outside to find any information about the Gonzalez's. I took my handbag with me, along with my passport, and left the motel. The lady behind the desk asked me whether I wanted to stay for another night or not and I told her yes. She made me pay another $20.

I looked around the now crowded streets, probably everyone going to their work. I felt lost and confused, but I didn't let that scare me. I found the first taxi that came into view and hailed it.

It didn't stop.

I waited for about 25 minutes when a taxi driver stopped for me. I hopped in, giving him a kind smile.

"You're the only taxi that stopped for me, thank you," I said.

"I shouldn't have. You were standing somewhere a taxi driver shouldn't stop in, but it's okay, you seem new here," he replied, making me shrink in embarrassment.

"I didn't know and yes, I am new. Do you know any place where I could use a computer?" I asked, looking at him through the rear view mirror.

"Yes, there's a place close to here," he replied.

"Take me there, please."

The car ride was short, as the place the driver was talking about was literally 3 minutes away from the motel. I paid the driver and stepped out of the car.

In front of me was a one-story building that looked very old compared to the motel I was staying in, which was also old. I walked inside and the smell of sweat immediately hit my nose.

Gross.

I looked straight and found a young boy sitting behind a desk. That place must have been a family business, or maybe not.

"Hello, could I use one of your computers?" I asked, getting his attention.

"$15 an hour," he said, putting his hand out, waiting for me to give him the money.

So straight forward...something I was not familiar with.

I handed him the money and he told me to use any empty computer. I found one and sat on the chair, as I placed my hand on the mouse. The screen lit and I signed in without a password. I opened google chrome and the google page was the first thing that came into view as a default. I pressed my fingers on the keyboard and wrote, 'Gonzalez, New York.'

When I pressed enter, the first link that came up was 'Gonzalez Enterprise.' I clicked on the link and it took me to their homepage.

I didn't know that they had a company...

I wrote the address to the company with the pen and small notebook that I always carry with me. I could have asked the taxi driver about them because their company must be famous if it's on google, right?

I tried to find anything else that would tell me about their home location, but I found none, which was fine because I could go to their company and ask to meet with Lorenzo Gonzalez or his son, Demetrio, or even Lorenzo's daughter, Dalila, but I was not sure if they worked there. I just hoped that I could find any of them.

After I finished my research, I went back to the motel, this time walking.

I wanted to buy a new phone, but I was too scared. Giovanni could reach me in any way and I didn't want to give out information about myself to any shop or store, just in case. The only thing that I was afraid of however, was what would happen if the Gonzalez's didn't give me their protection and help. There's a big chance that they would not do anything because they didn't know me and because they simply don't care about me, but I just hoped that everything Alberto told me about them, turn out to be true.

* * *