𝐈𝐈𝐈

----- act one, HIDDEN LIES
Chapter 3. The Will Reading

THE THROMBEY HOME,
2 DEERBORN DRIVE, MASSACHUSETTS, U.S.A
11:48 A.M.

 ASTRID QUIETLY CONVERSES WITH JACOB

ASTRID QUIETLY CONVERSES WITH JACOB. She was actively ignoring everyone else, including Marta.

"Well. Thank you all for getting together like this, it isn't legally necessary but I thought because you're all in town and some of you are leaving soon, it would be best- " Alan Stevens was cut off.

"Excuse me, Mr. Stevens. As to that,
ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to gently request you all remain in town until the investigation is completed. Shouldn't be more than two days," Detective Blanc says.

Jacob and Astrid look at each other in confusion and worry.

"He's gently requesting. Nobody move until we figure this out," Lieutenant Elliot orders.

Nobody likes this.

"What?" Linda asks, dumbfounded.

"Can we ask why? Has something changed?" Joni asked worriedly.

"No," Blanc replies.

"No, it hasn't changed or no we can'task?" She tries.

"Mr. Stevens, please continue," Blanc dodges the question.

Mr. Stevens continues. "Right. Well the other reason I thought this gathering would be, uh, beneficial is that as I told Walt, Harlan altered his will one week ago. He sealed it and asked me not to submit it to the courts for probate until after his death. So in case there's any confusion about anything we're all together, we can talk. I can't imagine any of it will be that complicated, Harlan's assets included um," 

"...the house" Sally said.

"The house which he owned outright, um."

Astrid closes her eyes, breathing deeply as she focused on calming down. 

"Sixty million," Sally continued.

"Right, in various cash accounts andinvestments, yes and of course the real assets are sole ownership of um,"

"Blood Like Wine," Sally finishes.

"Blood Like Wine publishing, his publishing company. Ok."

Walt's wife, Donna, puts her hand on his knee. He squeezes it, smiling tightly.

"Um, he did write up a statement when he made the recent changes, he wanted it read first, so:"

Astrid suddenly had a sickening feeling this wasn't going to be good, opening her eyes and tensing in her spot.

"'Some of you may be surprised by the choice I've made here. No pleasure was taken in the exclusion, and its purpose was not to sow greater discord in the family, quite the opposite. Please accept it with grace and without bitterness. But do accept it. It's for the best.'"