Chapter VIII: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, I’m not an early bird as you can tell. And last night was because I was going over some notes for a trial, later this week. Oh, and I’m Kenneth Grant, but feel free to call me Ken.” He extended his hand and shook mine gently.

“Alright Mr. Grant, what can I do for you?”

“Elline, right?” He raised an eyebrow with a mischievous grin on his mouth. I nodded slowly.  “Well, Miss Elline, I simply came by to introduce myself, to make you feel more at home with the company. The others will come around, so don’t worry. Why don’t you join us on our coffee break at four-thirty in the lounge later today? That way you get to know the rest of us a bit better?”

“That sounds nice. I’ll look forward to it.” Another forced smile appeared on my face, but I guess he took it as a genuine one; I wasn’t sure.

“Great, I’ll see you in the lounge then.” He got up and made his way out, still smiling at me as he passed my office.

My clock marked four-thirty. I had some certain curiosity to explore the lounge and get a general tour of the place, but at the same time, I wanted to get everything done and had no satiation of having a cup of coffee at the moment. Instead, I bailed on the invitation and typed furiously at the keyboard.

One of the head board member’s assistants knocked at my door about an hour and half later. I was sprawled on my small office couch with the Illinois law book in my lap. I lifted my glasses to find her with two cups of coffee in her hands.

“Mr. Grant sent this for you, as a way of apologizing for what he did this morning at the meeting.” She moved swiftly to my coffee table next to me and set them down. “He sent milk and coffee, since he didn’t know how you liked it.”

“Thank you Marsha. And please thank him for me, if you have the chance.” I held back a yawn, a clear sign I was certainly in need of the Joe.

“Certainly.” She disappeared out of the room and I got to work on fixing my coffee. Even the coffee was perfect. It was soft, just how I liked it, meaning it was an expensive brand.

Clocking out with a wide grin on my face, I was eager to get the first day done with and out of the way. It was going to take some getting used to, but I wasn’t that at all worried. I was more concerned about catching up with the laws of the state and the company ‘rules’.

The doorman happily handed me my coat. Just as I was exiting the building through the revolving door, little droplets began to sprinkle over my head. Oh great, rain. Just when I don’t have an umbrella with me. I stood on the sidewalk, doing my best to stop a cab, but the rain kept getting heavier with the second and it was harder to stop a taxi.

I suddenly felt the rain stop soaking my head for a moment, so I looked up to see a black umbrella over my head. I found the doorman at my rescue and even got a cab to stop for me. I gave him a tip and climbed in, zipping off into the busy city traffic. 

Sierra was busy cooking one of her mothers’ famous German recipes when I arrived. It smelled wonderful and managed to lighten up my mood after a rough first day.

“How did it go for you? Better than me?” I piped and sat on one of the bar stools, watching her cook.

“It’s going to be tough adjusting, but all in all, it’s amazing. I owe your father so much.” She beamed with excitement.

“That’s good. I’m glad to hear that.”

“What about you?” She pour white wine on the cabbage sautéing on the pan.

“It was okay. This guy interrupted my introduction at the board meeting, and so he stopped by my office and even sent me coffee. It was kind of pathetic if you ask me.” I muttered.