Byleth nodded and said "Goodnight Edelgard, I hope you can accomplish what it is you need to do" Edelgard looked shocked by Byleth words and with that Byleth turned around and left, with Edelgards story consuming her thoughts.

The Blue Lions met in the entrance hall of the monastery, Catherine gathered them around to give further instructions on their mission, She told them how they shouldn't be expecting combat however given the circumstances they need to be prepared to fight should the need arise. 

They began on the trip to castle Gaspard and after a little while Byleth heard Dimitri and Catherine talking about something called Thunderbrand. Byleth turned around and asked what it was "You don't know about the relics?" Dimitri asked shocked. 

Byleth shook her head Catherine lifted up her blade "This is Thunderbrand '' she said proudly "It's one of the heroes relics, you can only wield them if your crest is compatible with it" Catherine added. The three of them continued on discussing it for a while before the conversation digressed. 

After a while Byleth asked Catherine why she thought that Lord Lanato would start an army to go against the church. She began telling Byleth how it might have to do with turmoil in Faerghus since the tragedy of Duscar, Catherine paused and looked at Dimitri he had a sad look on his face "Don't mind me Catherine'' he said "Go ahead and continue". Catherine began telling Byleth about the assassination of the king and Lanato's son was thought to have been involved in it so the church executed him. The news of the church executing those they deemed to be criminals came as a shock to Byleth, however she began thinking more about the Tragedy of Duscar and that is when she realized that the King that was executed was Dimitri's Father. 

Byleth looked at Dimitri he seemed to be lost in his thoughts "Are you ok Dimitri?" Byleth asked.

Dimitri looked at her and gave her a slight smile "Of course, I'm just thinking of how it might be once we get to Castle Gaspard'' he said.

"I'm sorry Dimitri, I didn't realize..." Byleth said looking down.

"Ah no worries Byleth" Dimitri said "I understand that you probably just didn't know, Jeralt said that you were raised out of the influence of church and state, so it makes sense that you never heard about it" Dimitri added. 

"Brace yourselves it looks like we're going to have to fight" Catherine shouted as a thick fog fell overhead.

The Blue Lion class gathered in closer to each other not wanting to accidentally attack one another, Catherine and a few of the Knights went into a forested area, to fight some of the soldiers, while the Blue Lions stayed on a trail. After a few minutes of following that path they began to get ambushed by the soldiers of Castle Gaspard, they told the students while they attacked them how they would protect Lanato or die trying. It was an ugly fight, the soldiers that were fighting didn't seem to be soldiers, they looked like they were civilians who were just given weapons. 

Byleth saw that her fellow classmates were upset by this fact "Sending children to fight in a grown-ups war" Sothis said with disgust "How despicable" she hissed, Byleth agreed. 

They followed the trail until it split into two, and before they split up Byleth felt something knock her back "Byleth watch out!" Annette shouted Byleth turned and saw a dark mage that just hit her with miasma. 

Byleth lunged for the mage but it proved to be tougher to take him out since he was covered by a forested area, she finally managed to get a few hits in and the mage fell to the floor and whispered "Lord Lanato- Please don't die" before he himself fell dead. 

"Hey the fog is clearing" Catherine shouted. The rest of the fight from that point on was easier than before since the unprepared army no longer had the advantage of fighting them in the fog, they were able to swiftly take down the remaining soldiers until they came face to face with Lord Lanato.