Back In Town

"Guess who's back in town, baby girl?" Wynonna called out as she shut the front door behind her. She made her way into the kitchen where her younger sister Waverly was busy baking. The smaller brunette paused her mixing.

"Who?"

"Nicole Haught."

Waverly felt herself tremble. She hoped Wynonna couldn't see the effect that name still had on her. "Nicole Haught? As in my high school girlfriend Nicole Haught?"

"That's the one. I saw her at Shorty's, I thought I should warn you."

"Did you talk to her?"

"Yeah, she came to me. Asking about you, of course," Wynonna scoffed.

"About me? What specifically? Oh god, what did you say?"

"Geez, Waves, you're coming off a little desperate there." Waverly scowled at her. "Umm she wanted to know if you were still living here and umm if you're still single."

"And what did you tell her, Wynonna?"

"Just that you and I still live here together and that while you are single she wouldn't stand a chance, not after dumping you the day she left for college. And I might've told her to stay the fuck away from you or I'd kick her ass," Wynonna said and then flinched as Waverly threw a tea towel in her direction.

"Wynonna! Why would you say that?"

"Because you deserve better than her, Waverly. You deserve someone who won't walk out on you!" Wynonna opened her arms but Waverly stormed off, abandoning her vegan cake mix. "Waves?! Please don't do this, remember how hurt you were? You cried every day for months! I don't want you to go through that again."

Waverly swapped her apron for her coat and opened the front door. "I can make my own decisions, Wynonna!" She stepped out onto the front porch and slammed the door behind her.

Waverly arrived at Shorty's a half hour later, hoping dearly that her ex would still be there. It was a Friday afternoon; the place was packed. She tried to look through the crowds, her height not working in her favour. Then she saw it. A glimpse of fiery red hair caught her eye.

Nicole Haught was seated at the far side of the bar with a beer glass in her hand. Waverly forced her way through the groups of drunk until she reached the empty stool beside the long legged woman she was so eager to see.

"Waverly?" Nicole slammed her glass down on the bar, her jaw dropped a little.

"Hi," Waverly said loudly over the music.

"Hey," she smiled sweetly, dimples pressed into her cheeks. Waverly got the urge to poke those dimples like she used to do to tease Nicole. "It's been so long! Can I get you a drink?"

"I drove here so I shouldn't."

"Not even one?" Waverly shook her head. "Alright, well sit down. How about a water."

"Okay, thanks."

Nicole waved to get the bartender's attention, her shirt lifted exposing some skin for a moment and reminding Waverly of nights with Nicole from long ago. She was brought back down to earth when a water bottle was placed in front of her. Nicole leaned in so she could talk over the music.

"How are you?"

"Pretty good. How about you?"

"Not bad, bit tired from travelling though."

Nicole gazed softly into her eyes with those soft brown eyes, making Waverly feel like she could see her thoughts.

"So what brings you back here? I didn't think there were many jobs for lawyers out here not that you'd be finished your degree. I mean it's only been two and half years."