Part XVI (new)

On returning to town, they carried the kids upstairs to bed at Romana's house and tucked them in snug as bugs under mountains of blankets

On returning to town, they carried the kids upstairs to bed at Romana's house and tucked them in snug as bugs under mountains of blankets. They'd hardly roused when the train pulled into the station and only muttered in s lumber as they were taken from train to taxi. They were all of them heavy, happy sleepers. The hall lights were left on for them.

As Romana embraced her from behind, Jordie phoned home to let Mrs. Bosley know she and the children wouldn't return until morning. If the older woman suspected anything, she wisely kept her own counsel. Jordie didn't care what she suspected. She had cared for too many years what other people thought of her.

Jordie drifted behind Romana, an ardent ghost as Romana locked all the doors and doused the ashes in the fireplace. They extinguished the lights on the main level and climbed the stairs to Romana's bedroom hand in hand. There wasn't any need for them to rush; they had one another now, and they had till morning's first light.

Jordie followed Romana to her bed, and she didn't leave for the rest of the night.

Hours later, Jordie fell backward into the bedsheets, sated and sticky from Romana's amorous attentions

Hours later, Jordie fell backward into the bedsheets, sated and sticky from Romana's amorous attentions. She blinked, bleary-eyed, at the starlit ceiling. There was only enough illumination to see by from the unshuttered windows and a single white candlestick burning on the nightstand beside the bed.

The fire threw shadows on the walls and on their bodies. Jordie swore she could see Romana's fingerprints on her chest and stomach, trailing like breadcrumbs down her thighs.

Romana lazed at her side, observing Jordie's haphazard, languorous sprawl with the air of a cat who had got and quite enjoyed her cream. She had the look of someone well-loved: swollen lips and mussed hair; love bites littering her collarbones and half-moon shaped marks on her hips.

"Don't look so pleased with yourself," Jordie remarked once she'd rediscovered her voice.

"Then allow me to look pleased with you." Romana twisted forward to kiss Jordie till they forgot words again, resorting to action to show what they still hadn't been able to say.

When they were still again, bodies cooling where sweat had dried on their skin, they found each other's hands in amid the bedcovers and held fast to one another. Romana's red hair spilled across the sheets in a copper halo. Jordie brushed it from Romana's eyes.