Chapter 22: Life after Death

Start from the beginning

"We can make a home somewhere else."

"No, you need to be here, on that throne ruling the people who are devoted to you."

"They are devoted to you Ariya, not me."

"I will not let them be. I want to go home, home that is free. Besides you want children and I cannot give that to you. Dragon Heir women cannot bear children. You need heirs." I stepped back from his arms.

"That what's this is about? Ariya, I only need you, you are all I need."

"Violet loves you." I blurted before I could stop myself, cringing at my own words.

"What?"

"She loves you. She is what a wife should be, she can give you children, she is what a Queen should be." The words felt like acid on my tongue.

"But I love you. You Ariya. Why do you think you can change that?" He stepped forward closing me into the wall leaving me nowhere to escape.

"You do not understand Dimitri, I cannot love you. Loving people always hurts." I yelled slumping against the wall.

"Ariya," my name on his lips was heaven. "nobody said love was easy. But it is the wonderful times that make the heartache worth it."

"But it is not." Somehow I began to cry again.

"Yes it is. Loving you has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was raised in entitlement; it was you who showed me a different side of this world. It was you who showed me courage when I had none. It is you I have fallen passionately in love with. No one but you Ariya, understand that. You are not alone you will never be alone. I will always love you." Reaching out he slid his hand up my neck and into my hair. Pulling my chin up to meet his eyes. I saw all of what he had spoken of.

All of my inhibitions melted away. I no longer cared how this moment would affect me life. I no longer cared how Violet would feel. This was about me, no one but me. For once I was going to put myself first. A man stood in front of me with complete devotion begging me to love him when I already did. I was tired of holding myself back. I deserved more than this.

"I love you. Nothing in this world will change that. Nor will I let it." Before I could lose my courage or Dimitri could even process my words I brought my lips to his. I broke from his kiss and leaned casually against the wall. I had not been so relaxed in months.

"I..." Dimitri was at a loss for words.

"Kiss me you fool. I am not going anywhere." A grand smile spread across his lips, he needed no more encouragement. His lips returned to mine and he kissed me, I never knew one could be kissed such as this. Dimitri closed the space between us trapping me against the wall. A small chuckled escaped; he was taking his own measures to make sure I did not leave.

I am not sure how long we kissed before I made the decision. He was the only man I would ever love like this. I was tired of living in the past or the future, considering all the consequences of my actions before making the tiniest move. I would live in the now. I would love who was in front of me. I pressed my hands against Dimitri's chest and pushed him away. He looked confused, even distraught, but soon all of that would change.

"You are leaving aren't you?" He asked his eyes down cast.

"Not a chance." His gaze sprung back up to me a small smile tugging at his lips. Keeping his eyes I let my hand pull the laces of my shirt free. Dimitri's eyes intently followed my every move.

"Ariya..." his voice unsure. Ignoring him I grabbed the hem of the white shirt and pulled it over my head and tossed it to the ground. There I stood in nothing but my trousers, giving him everything left I had to give. "You do not have too. I am not expecting anything from you." His eyes betrayed his words.

"I know." He looked guiltily over my body again. "Come here." He obliged. Reaching out I grabbed his hand boldly and rested it on my waist guiding it higher and higher. "I love you Dimitri." Dimitri pulled me flush to him and rested his forehead against mine.

"You grow more beautiful in every moment. I fall in love with you more with every word you speak."

"Now show me." I said taking his cheek in my hand. No more words were spoken. He kissed me. Slowly our clothes fell to the floor leaving only us. That was all that mattered was the man standing before me, and the love he felt for me. What happened next was something that I would carry with me for the rest of my life. Never had I been so vulnerable in front of someone and it was strangely freeing.

Dimitri drew circles on my back as he held me. Sighing I relaxed deeper into his embrace. Never had I been so happy than I was in this moment. I had more than I had ever thought possible. Laymeria was safe, Violet was safe, and Dimitri was in my arms.

But the greatest thing lost was Elijah, a good friend a wonderful man. He deserved more than to die at the hands of a coward. Closing my eyes I allowed my grief in. I had to deal with it sooner rather than later. It had been Elijah who had showed me the way and kept my courage flourishing. Tears streamed down my cheeks. Dimitri's hand moved from my back and pushed back a lock of my hair.

"What's wrong?"

"I was thinking of Elijah." Dimitri grew morose. He had not known Elijah long but he was still his father and that was a pain I could relate to. "Dimitri," I sat up and turned my back to him. "I will not stay here."

"What?" I felt him bolt up and reach for me.

"And by that I mean this castle. I cannot be here. I want to be by your side just not here, you have to understand that." Arms curled around me.

"I know. I have been thinking about this and I have come up with an idea. I am not sure too many will take kindly to it but it is what I want." Wrinkling my brow I turned to him.

"What do you mean?" Dimitri told me of his plan. At first I was shocked but the more he spoke of it the more I understood it. Kissing me atop the head he dressed and left to make the proper arrangements. I too dressed but rather than exit the way I came I called to Moorwin and left through the window.

'Moorwin.' I sighed leaning into his warmth.

'So what do we do now?' he asked. I told him of Dimitri's plan. 'I like this plan.' Smiling I left him fly relishing in his company.