Chapter 14: The Past

Okay I know this is a short chapter but it is very informational and I've now decided that I will upload every Sunday. I feel I'm up to the writing load and it is a way to encourage me to write. So enjoy the chapter and vote, comment! Thanks for reading! I appreciate it all!

                                                                                          ~Rose

Chapter 14: The Past

“Elijah,” I asked gripping my mug tighter. I truly didn’t want to be sticking my nose where it didn’t belong but I was curious, and a far part of my mind thought I deserved to know what happened.

“Yes?” He replied with a mouthful of bread. Elijah reminded me uncannily of Dimitri which only made me miss him more.

“I'm not trying to pry but why does the king hate dragon heirs so much?” I asked lowering my gaze and twiddling my thumbs.

“It’s a long story,”

“I’ve told you mine.”

“I guess you deserve to know, it’s not a happy story Ariya.”

“And mine is?” I snapped glaring at him.

“I apologize for angering you Ariya. Let me start from the beginning. Dragon heirs once were plentiful as their dragons they bonded with. Dragons weren’t born in the dying breaths of the mother; they were a gift from the gods. Heirs were bonded with their dragons at birth. There was once a list; a list that was written in fire laying out the dragon heirs to come. We did great things Ariya; wonderful things. I grew up with Illyria at my side; we grew and aged together. The king didn’t always hate the dragon heirs; he used to be a kind man just like his father. At the time I believe there was a total of twelve heirs alive when it happened.” Elijah paused his face growing grim.

“What happened?” I asked eager for an answer.

“When I met Cristina, I was young no older than you neither was she. The king was ten years older than us both. She was my best friend, but the day she turned seventeen was a fateful day for us both. Cristina was to marry the king. It was after the announcement I realized where my feelings lied for her; I loved her. I didn’t want to see her marry the king; so I left.”

“Why?” why he left flabbergasted me.

“I didn’t want to see her in love; you see I never told her. I just left, I came back after three years. She seemed to love the king but wasn’t in love with him. The King welcomed me home with open arms. The king and Cristina were trying to conceive an heir to the throne but she couldn’t seem to become pregnant. The longer I was in her presence the closer we became. I won’t call it a mistake because it wasn’t; in a night of passion while the king was away we made love.” Again he paused reminiscing in the bittersweet memory. “After that, I felt awful at what we had done, she was married to the king who had shown me nothing but kindness. So again I left, I didn’t even tell her. It was better for her that way.”

“How is leaving easier?”

“Ariya, if I stayed I knew I wouldn’t be able to control my love. I couldn’t have an affair with the king’s wife. Then after four years I returned to find Cristina a mother. Mother of the most beautiful four year old son; whose eyes were as gold as the sun. The King did not welcome my return, he had become bitter; he was no longer the kind man I had remembered. Again I was thrown into pain as touched her shoulder; kissed her lips; took her to bed. My jealousy made me green with envy. So what followed suit was what I had tried my best to avoid,” He paused his eyes growing distant.

“What?”

“We had an affair. We saw each other in secret; with stolen kisses and glances across the hall. Everything was simple until she confessed the truth of Dimitri’s father to me; that he was my son. I’d always had my suspicions since I met the boy; his eyes and mine were too alike. Until then I hadn’t come to terms with the extent of our selfish actions. I asked Cristina to run away with me; with Dimitri. At first she refused shocked that I would ever ask her; but I persisted. Telling her that once the king discovered Dimitri’s true heritage; he would have no qualms in killing him and her too; I couldn’t bear the thought of loosing either of them. I told her something had changed in the king; he wasn’t the great king we had once known.”

“What do you think changed him? The King I mean.” I interjected; Elijah met my outburst with a disapproving glare that melted into a defeated sigh.

“I don't know but I wish I did. Cristina eventually agreed to run away with me. We were to leave immediately in the middle of the night.” This time when he paused his eyes grew sorrowful small tears welling in the corners. “I don't know how the King found out; but he did none the less. She was to meet me in a guest quarters to escape out the window onto Illyria. Cristina came running into the room flushed faced clutching a silent Dimitri to her chest. She carried no more than a small bag. Just as she was about to exit the window the king was there in the doorway. I don't think I have ever seen a man as angry as the king was in that moment. His eyes were glowing with rage.”

Thinking back I was pretty sure I have been that angry before when the King murdered my father before my eyes. I can still remember clearly how my body temperature shot up and my hands began to glow.

“He stormed up to us; I drew my sword stepping in front of Cristina. Without sparing a glance the King slashed his Glamoric sword across my face.” Now that he’d said something I noticed a thin puckered scar slashed across the left side of his face. “Knocked out of the way he headed straight for Cristina; he ripped Dimitri from her arms yanking her hair. He dragged her to towards the door; I remember her and Dimitri’s faces as clear as day. Cristina was terrified but Dimitri’s was a face a void of emotion. The king took his sword to Cristina’s neck resting it against her jugular. I will never forget the words he spoke to me. ‘For what you have done she will suffer’ and without regrets she drew the sword across her neck spilling her blood. The worst part was is that I couldn’t to a damn thing and Dimitri had to watch his own mother’s death. The King just dropped her body like it was nothing more than a child’s doll; he was heading towards me, so I did the only thing I could do; I ran. I jumped out the window onto Illyria and left. I can still remember the King watching me from the window as I fled like a coward; I left him, my only son to be raised by a monster.” Elijah was now in tears; as the salty water slid down his cheeks I felt horrible for making these memories resurface.

“The King is a monster I won’t deny that but Dimitri is far from it.” I told him grasping his hand forcing him to look in my eyes. “He is a wonderful man; he was the one to save my life from the King. He will help us take him from the throne.” I smiled biting my lip. Elijah just stared at me his eyes unreadable. When he finally spoke I was startled.

“You remind me of Cristina. You’re an amazing person Ariya don’t let anyone fool you into thinking you’re not.” Elijah smiled squeezing my hand back. Not wanting to resurface more bad memories but I had to know.

“What happened to the other dragon heirs?” Elijah let out a sigh.

“The king rounded them and their dragon ups; because when we are bonded when one dies the other dies as well. Ariya he rounded them up in the square all the heir’s on their knees; he murdered them execution style. In front of the entire city; he told everyone to never speak of the time of dragons again and to report any signs of their resurface.” Anger flooded my veins; how could any man do something so cruel. I wanted him dead; to see his cold lifeless eyes.

“Train me.” I growled. “Train me like the heirs and their dragons once trained; teach me how to be a dragon heir.”