Chapter 15: Payback

Like I said I would upload on Sunday! Well here it is! Hope you enjoy! Vote, comment! And Dedication goes to Pmpanda because we both love dragons!

                                           ~Rose

Chapter 15: Payback

I told Elijah I would be back but that I must tell Katarina of my whereabouts. At first I attempted to convince Elijah to come back to the camp but he refused instantly. Not wanting to push him or the kindle of friendship that was budding; we made an agreement.

We would train every day all day until I was a true dragon heir. I still wanted Elijah to come to the gypsy camp so we could be in a safer environment but Elijah felt safer out here with Illyria hidden in the woods. Illyria was also going to help us train; she was mostly going to help Moorwin but me as well.

Elijah walked me back to the woods to where we’d left Moorwin and Illyria. Moorwin was to the right of the clearing snoozing while Illyria laid down her long neck extended her soft green eyes watching over my son.

“I will see you later today and we shall began you’re training.” Elijah told me while walking over to Illyria stroking her neck.

“Of course. I will return as I soon as I can.” I walked over to Moorwin and nudge him with my foot. He woke instantly; eyes flashing open.

‘Calm down silly; it’s just me.’ I snickered. I climbed onto Moorwin’s back settling myself between the horns. As Moorwin stood ready; Elijah waved me off as he took off into the air with the thrusting of his legs and a beat of his wings.

The flight back to the gypsy camp was uneventful; it was just me, Moorwin and the clear blue skies. We landed where Moorwin usually slept; as I slid off he gave his body a great shake. Smiling I patted his cheek before heading back towards the camp.

Nearing the camp a smell wafted into my nose, the smell was smoke. Instantly my defenses were up I gripped the hilt of my sword. Walking like the hunter I was I tip toed towards camp pausing behind trees.

Once I reached the wall of brush that led to the clearing I kneeled down pushing away some of the bush and peered through. What I saw was only from nightmares. Smoke rose from most of the tents and a few bodies scattered the straight away.

I had to stifle my gasp, quickly my shock morphed into anger. Who would do such a thing, kill innocent people. I noticed the only other people I’d seen were cowering between remnants of burnt tents; as if they were hiding. 

The snapping of a twig made me whirl around my dagger in hand; I’d lifted it from my boot when I was kneeled. I had the person shoved against a tree my dagger to their throat. Suddenly I recognized them; Jonah.

“Jonah?” I asked stepping back.

“Ariya! Where have you been? We were all worried, but it’s good you weren’t here.” Jonah rushed his words breathlessly.

“Slow down, what do you mean ‘good’ I wasn’t here? Who did this to you?” I bit back my anger; my grip on the dagger’s hilt tight; my knuckles white

“The king, he attacked our camp looking for you. Not the king himself but his men; his knights.”

“No,” I whispered. I had brought my fate on to these people.

“It wasn’t your fault. The King ordered his men to do this; it wasn’t you.”

“But he was looking for me!” I cried my voice still soft. It was my fault and he was just coddling me. I was tired of being coddled; being coddled brought me to this situation in the first place. Biting my lip I gripped the hilt of the dagger tighter before turning away from Jonah and throwing the dagger into the nearest tree.