3)A Little Stocky For A Dancer

Sam

"Are you getting a ride after dance today? I work and won't be home until late." Jimmy asked we pulled up in front of the school.

I nodded, "Mindy said she could give me one."

"That's good. I'll see you when you get home."

I said goodbye and then hurried off to my first class. I sat down next to Ana, who was furiously typing something into her phone. "What's the matter?"

Ana jumped, she must not have seen me come in and sit down. "Having problems with my girlfriend, Mia. She's pissing me off." Ana reached into her bag and pulled out a granola bar, I noticed that was the only form of food in her bag, "Do you want this? I'm not very hungry and wouldn't want it to go to waste."

I noticed tears threaten to spill over her lower eyelids. Something was really upsetting this girl and, as her only friend here so far, I knew I needed to help. "Have you thought about joining any sports or anything?" Ana shook her head and fixed her eyeliner in a small Hello Kitty mirror she pulled out of her bag. "Well, I'm in dance and I know that we need a new girl. You should come by practice today and see if it's something you would like."

Ana smiled at me. "That would be great."

***

"Ms. B!" I called as I entered the dance studio. "This is Ana. She's thinking about joining."

"Oh, that's great!" She smiled brightly at the two of us. "So many girls have been leaving lately. If I don't start to get more, we may have to cancel the Christmas performance."

I talked to Ms. B for a little longer before going to the lockers to change into my dance clothes. "What do you think of her?" I asked Ana.

"She's fat for dance teacher." She replied bluntly.

I thought for a moment about the teacher. She was a little bigger but nothing I would call fat. "I don't think so..."

Ana shrugged. I pulled out a bag of caramel apple slices and offered some to Ana as we made our way out to the studio again. She scrunched her nose and shook her head. What did this girl have against food?

After dance, Mindy told me she wouldn't be able to give me a ride home. I asked Ana if she wanted to come over so I wouldn't have to walk alone. She agreed and we walked most of the way to my house in silence.

Just a block away she spoke up, "y'know... I would've never guessed you were a dancer."

"Why?" I asked as I chomped down on a chocolate-chip cookie.

"Well, you're kinda stocky. Your thighs are bigger than all the other dancers'." I was shocked by her words. Why would a friend say something like that to me? The look on her face wasn't rude, though. She looked like she was really trying to help me out.

I looked down at my thighs, I had never noticed how big they really were. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe we could work out together?"

Anna's face lit up. "Yeah! I could give you some really good diets to follow as well!"