2-2

We talked for ages. It was like we have known each-other our whole lives. He smiled at the jokes nobody would ever laugh at- well except the girls in my grade that like me. Whenever I say a joke, they do this fake laugh. I can tell it's fake, too high pitched and obviously forced.

His face lights up as he realises and understands the joke. Then, he laughs like an angel. It's so pure. It's not fake or forced. Just a genuine laugh. I like that about him, he seems so real. Not fake. He's one of the realest people I've ever met.

At school, nobody is their selves. It's a popularity contest. You've gotta change yourself to be popular or liked. I know firsthand, I changed. I used to be that boy that wore that Milky Way tee- shirt and drank soda whilst camping out in the bush with my mother.

Come highschool, everything changed. I stopped wearing the shirt. Became a 'jock' and one of the most liked people in my grade. I wouldn't say it was for the better, I crave genuinity. It's like a drug to me. Seeing someone really happy, or someone actually showing emotions for once. I love it, I crave it. I want it.

Alexander has that. And that's good, he's pure in my eyes at least. Not a masked person. Though, he's not all genuine. There's a part I can't see, can't get behind. He disappears every so often, comes back, leaves again. The day I saw him- when he had that face of pure terror. I want to know what's going on. I can't get behind it. I try, I don't want to pressure him though.

I look down at my watch. Darn, missed practice oh well.

We talk and talk.

By the time we finish, it's dark out. Alexander looks at me and taps my shoulder furiously. 'John I need to get home' I nod and grab my things. He follows suit. 'Come on, you can sit on the back of my bike.' He nods and follows me over. I grab my helmet and put it on, clicking in the strap. I pull on the small overhang, bringing it right out. I finally get the right tightness and pull out my bike. I hope on, kicking down the kickstand. I sit on it and wait for Alexander. He nervously gets on the back. 'Put your arms around my waist' I instruct him. He wraps his arms around my waist and shuts his eyes in preparation. He's scared, I can feel it.

I kick up the kickstand and off we go. We ride through the empty road, the night sky making it hard for me to even see. Thank god I have practice. Dad took me on a nighttime ride once, we forgot to put the lights on, and we ended making it out alright.

We finally make it to town. It was almost completely silent, except for the sound of grasshoppers chirping and bushes rustling. 'Over here' Alex whispers from behind. I listen to his instructions.

We make it to this yellow bricked suburban home. It's small, simple, but it looks cozy enough. I kick down the kickstand on the side walk. Alex unwraps his hands from my waist and hops off. He smiles, thanks me for the ride and runs to the front door. As he opens it, he turns around.

He does one last wave. And he runs inside, the door slamming with a loud thump. I smile and kick up the kickstand, and ride off.

I make it home. I left my bike out on the porch. Nobody would steal it, my fathers a senator and if they did well bad luck.

I walk inside, shut the door slowly. I smell the familiar sent of chicken. I smile and see a plate left out for me.

Sitting down at the table had never been so lonely. My siblings are upstairs playing, I can hear their giggles. Father isn't home though, he's working late tonight.

———————

That night I law awake. He's on my mind all the time. The short boy with beautiful auburn hair and a smile nothing could falter. His eyes the most prettiest shade of blue, and a laugh that I wish I could listen to repeat.

I'm utterly in love with this mysterious boy, oh how glad I am to have him in my life. It was like it was meant to be.

He was meant to come into my life.

I rest my head against my soft pillow, my eyes shut, I succumb to the relaxing feeling and sleep overcomes me.