32. Marwon Al-Din

Start from the beginning

"You really don't beat around the bush," Grumbled Marwon. He snorted. "The table is fine."

Tarek walked in front and pulled a chair backwards. He himself chose a position in the room where he could oversee everything. Tyler took a seat across from Marwon with his back to the window.
Expectantly, he looked at the old man. "You are the first of the family to visit me at home."
Eyebrows frowned slightly.
"I don't count Dr. Evans and Dr. Al-Din as visitors," he said.
"No doubt I've already been blackened," the man sniffed mockingly.

Tyler shook his head. "You're wrong about that. I have been told that you have been fighting for fifty years over a decision taken by your eldest brother. In terms of content, that's your business." Tyler put his hands on the table and looked straight at the man. "But I find it distasteful and below the dignity of a man in your position to have his niece put under administration and thus enforce his right." His voice sounded clear and strong in the silent room.

There was a shocked expression on Marwon's face. His eyes flew at Tarek, who visibly cringed.
"When did this happen?" he asked, demanding.
"I don't know when it started. I know when it ended," Tyler said.
Marwon's eyes slipped sunken in thoughts over the kitchen table. "So that's why she has used her right to choose a bearer of the eye." He raised his dark head. "But why did she choose you?"
Tyler shrugged his shoulders. "Princess Jasmine didn't tell me that."
Piercingly Marwon took in his young table mate. "Do you have any idea how much power she gave you?"
At that moment, loud banging on the door was loud.
"Tyler, open it. Your time is up."
Tyler sighed. "That's what I'm always told, Mr. Al-Din. But it doesn't seem to help me deal with my tyrannical boss."

He looked aside. "Tarek, would you be kind enough to let Prince Jareed in?"
After a brief nod from Marwon, he walked towards the door.
"Tarek," Jared greeted him by name, while sizing him up.
"Prince Jareed," Tarek said in a similar tone.

Tyler picked up both men and recognized a way of moving. Shocked, he looked at Marwon. "Are all your children being trained? In what kind of family is this necessary?"
"Powerful people make powerful enemies," Marwon said simply.

Jared got closer. He greeted his great-uncle in Arabic with the respect his status brought him. Marwon did the same thing. In short terms, he spoke to Jared. His eyes flew to Tyler. As unfazed as possible, Tyler followed the interaction he didn't understand. He watched a variety of emotions pull over Jared's face. They told the story Tyler couldn't follow. Marwon hadn't known about this. This probably had been a move by his own children. Fueled by fifty years of strive, they had crossed a line.

Tyler realized that the old man's own position was hanging by a thread. Why shouldn't they relieve him of his rights at the slightest sign of weakness?
"You are at the head of a pack of hyenas who do not share your morals and values. I shudder when I think of the possible consequences," he remarked as soon as the men were done talking.
"Did you follow our conversation?" asked Jared, puzzled.
Tyler smiled. "No, but it was written on your faces."
Two pairs of dark eyes looked at him frowning.
He sighed. "Listen. In your culture, people of your stature are not addressed in their faces. Maybe you are not as untouchable as you think," he said defiantly.

Jared looked at him angrily, but Marwon burst into laughter. A real mean smile. His steering face was transformed.
Tyler raised his hands in defeat. "No, seriously. Where are the small, fat and bald relatives!" he held his hand up. "Attractive, of good health, successful, intelligent and good leaders," he counted on his fingers.
Marwon looked proudly from Tarek to Jared. "We have strong genes in our family."

Tyler was curious. "Would you be offended if I asked about your parents?" Marwon Al-Din looked at him in a surprise. "What would you like to know?"
He shrugged. "Who were they? Where did you live? How was every day life at your house?"
Jared took a seat next to Tyler and even Tarek came closer.
They all listened to the stories that took them to the youth of this interesting man. Every once in a while, Jared and Tarek would ask something, and then Marwon would tell on.
Tyler listened to the stories and enjoyed the lights that burned in three pairs of brown eyes. He was also alert that Jared didn't touch him by accident.

As if he was sorry, Marwon cleared his throat. "My time here is over, Tyler. I have to go."
Tyler, who foresaw that the man would have trouble getting up, helped him gallantly and without fuss. The other two men did not notice any of this action. Marwon pinched him appreciatively in his shoulder. "I'm looking forward to our next meeting, Tyler."
"Me too," he said sincerely.
Marwon also spoke to Jared, who pressed his hand, hesitated and then hugged him as was customary in the family.

Tyler waved at the car leaving and closed the door. Jared stood in the living room and looked at him awe.
"Let me guess," Tyler said. "He's going to apologize to your grandmother and make peace with Sheikh Jabaar as a penance for his family's appalling behavior."
Jared nodded incredulously. "They're such proud people. They never would have gotten out of this themselves."
Tyler looked at him seriously. "You shouldn't think that everything has been solved with this. Fifty years is not so easy to erase."

Jared hugged Tyler firmly. "I get that, too." His broad grin melted Tyler.
"I loved watching you while you were listening to those stories," Tyler said. He crept closer into the embrace.  "Especially the bits your great-grandfather was mentioned in." Gently, he brought his mouth to Jared's neck and pressed small kisses into it.

"We have to catch our plane," Jared said, laughing, pushing Tyler away.
"But if we're in Paris and sleeping under your grandmother's roof, I can't touch you," Tyler pouted.
"That's right," Jared nodded. He looked Tyler deep in his eyes. "And I'm going to reward you handsomely for that." Tyler let out a shaky sigh that Jared laughed at superiorly. "Eager boy," he whispered to his lips and gave a kiss Tyler felt to his toes.