gold necklace

he smiled, so proud of himself. he really thought this would fix everything. that she would forgive him in a second, all because she fell in love with the way the gold gleamed in the sun.

any boy could buy her a gold necklace. hell, she could buy herself one. this really wasn't anything special. everyone on their side of town could buy anything they wanted, a silly old necklace from a boy she barely loved was nothing sweet.

she stuck her tongue her teeth and lied stiffly. "it's beautiful."

he laughed. "i knew you'd like it, lori." he kissed her quickly and she barely returned it. "c'mon, what's the matter with you?"

she sighed and looked down sadly. he wrapped his arms around her waist and slowly as she began to speak, she wrapped her arms around him to. "you promised you'd stop, bobbie. you said you'd quit it and you did it again."

he rolled his head back and pulled away from her. "again with this shit-"

she held his face in her hands, speaking viciously towards him. "what'd that boy ever do to you, huh?"

"it's just for fun, alright? it ain't nothing serious. it's not like we're gonna go to jail, nobody cares about that stupid kid anyway." he pulled away from her hands and scoffed.

"what does it matter if no one cares about him? it's still wrong bobbie, and you know it too." she stared at him desperately, hoping this time maybe he'd listen to her. "promise me, that was the last time. i don't care who it is, or if no one cares about him. that was the last time."

he stared at her for a moment, he expression softening at the look on her face. her face so beautiful in the sun. he pulled her face into his hands. "alright, i promise."

she felt a smile pull at her lips as she fell into his touch. "thank you."

he pulled her lips to his and this time he kissed him back. when they pulled away again, he smiled down at her with his famous crooked smile. "you know i love you, right."

she nodded, as she felt her heart dropped to her stomach. she knew better than that. love was slammed car doors and slamming beer bottles in the park. love was late night drives and whispering in the moonlight.

but it didn't matter what their love was like. as long as he bought her another gold necklace, everything was alright.