IV

Chiron had insisted that they talk about it in the morning

Elaine protested. She was still new to camp, and therefore didn't carry herself with a lot of authority, but she found herself going toe to toe (toe to hoof?) with the centaur.

"You didn't see what we saw. How can you be sure that this isn't something to be discussed right now?" She challenged.

"Elaine, I understand the desire to figure this out, but now isn't the time." Chiron insisted.

"What's going to happen if someone else falls in a pit without magic hands to get themselves out? Percy and I were lucky to come out alive!" She huffed.

"But we did come out alive, Elaine. Chiron's right, try to get some sleep." Percy said. He made a move to place a hand on her shoulder, but she just jerked away.

Without another word, Elaine navigated her way out of the woods.

The inside of her cabin was a combination of sleeping and restless children.

Lee hurried to her at the sight of her expression.

"What happened out there?" He asked her.

The ones who were still awake silenced themselves to listen. She felt like she was telling a bedtime story.

"Percy and I found an entrance to the Labyrinth. In Zeus's Fist. But it was awful. It was small and dark—I couldn't see a thing." She said, fighting back tears at the thought of being underground.

Lee slung an arm around her shoulder. "Don't fret, Little Lainie. Children of Apollo are notoriously scared of the dark. It's a very ironic Achilles heel."

"Does that mean the rumors are true, then? The camp will be invaded?" Will asked.

He was sitting up in his bed, looking small and frightened. He reminded Elaine of Nico di Angelo—too young to be dealing with the problems they were facing.

Elaine couldn't bring herself to lie. Plus, these were her siblings—she knew she could trust them.

As she thought about an invasion, she could picture a scenario in her head, a horrifically graphic image of monsters pouring out of the ground. It wasn't the first time something like this happened. On her quest last winter, she could sense if Annabeth was alive or not just by focusing on her.

"Call it a gut feeling," Elaine said hesitantly, "but I think so. I don't know when, but I'm positive that Luke will be utilizing that entrance. I can see it."

Lee cursed under his breath. "You have the gift of Sight."

"Like the Oracle?"

"No, it's not as strong. But it's a gift Apollo children inherit. You can't foresee everything, but if you can see that an invasion is going to happen ..." Lee sighed. "Let's not worry about this right now. Try to get some rest."