1 // The day of my sixteenth birthday

Start from the beginning

Phoebe, my sixteen year old sister -- at the time -- was insane, dad had trouble trying to keep her on a leash. She was extremely popular, super gorgeous with her long bright blonde hair, clear blue eyes and clear skin, she was a ten in every factor.

I swear, there was perfection oozing out of her.

Whist I, on the other hand, missed out on the perfect looks. I got stuck with dirty blonde hair, boring eyes not to mention my skin is gross. Phoebe and my dad argued a lot, she always partied and since she was two years older than me, I would end up being left home alone. Sometimes she was nice and stayed with me but Phoebe was just a selfish person, that is after mum died it increased...

I wipe the tears away from my eyes and walk over to my closet, pulling out a warm outfit I quickly get dressed. Shrugging on my green cargo jacket I smile at my reflection. I frown however when I hear Phoebes voice in my head telling me to "stop being such a slob."

When I'm finally done my daily routine i run my hands through my hair and begin to walk down the stairs. Glancing down I pick up the smell of freshly cooked pancakes a small smile spreads across my face. I continue my way down the stairs when I reach my father. He's staring up at me from where he stands. I walk over to the table getting ready to indulge in my mothers special pancakes that my father makes me all the time. Once I pick up my knife and fork, no one can stop me.

Today I'm going to walk through the school gates, but this time I'm not going to be the missing girls sister.. I'm going to be Emlen, the complete opposite of my popular sister. I'm going to smile when people accidentally mention her and laugh along at their jokes, then when I get home I can cry and scream all I want... Placing a hand over my mothers necklace I stand up from the table to clean up my mess.

"Think fast!"

When I turn around my dad throws an apple and a bag full of food at me, I quickly catch the bag but the apple sadly hits me right in the forehead, knocking me back a little. I throw my dad an angry glare, he's looking in the opposite direction scratching his head. I role my eyes at his stupidity and how childish he is, "Okay dad, let's go," I call to him. He walks to the counter, takes his keys and walks through the front door with a few quick steps.

As I make my way to the car I stop to look at a photo just beside our door. A young blonde girl with big blue eyes, a woman who looks her early thirties holds hands with a man that looks around the same age as her. Beside the man is a young girl with fair hair, she holds a small soccer ball in her hand with chocolate spread all over her face. The family stands at a beach as the sun sets behind them.

I still remember that day, we were at the beach for a picnic. Phoebe didn't like the beach very much, she always rambled on about how the sand somehow manages to get into every party of your swimmers... I feel a faint blush spread to my cheeks when I think about it.

I'm pulled out of my funny thoughts when my dads car horn honks loudly. He's obviously getting impatient. Continuing to walking outside I lock the door behind me, jumping into my dad's truck I sigh at the gross smell inside the rather large vehicle. My dad being a carpenter has it's good stuff and it's bad... When the car starts my dad quietly hums to a song on the radio, tapping his hands on the steering wheel in time with the beat. I stare outside the window when I feel my phone violently vibrate in my pocket. Quickly pulling it out I read the name 'Andy' written across my screen. When the swipe of my finger I answer the call. Pressing the phone to my ears I hear the sound of muffled breathing.

"Did you just butt dial me?" I chuckle when I hear the noises assuming he somehow 'butt dialled' me.

A few seconds later I'm relieved when I hear Andy's voice. Andy is one of my close work friends, he picks me up from school when I have to go to work and we've become close friends over time. We both work at a large library right in the middle of town, it's called the international library with three levels each having two to three sections of books on each level. I work in the teen section, I write reviews on novels in our library newspaper. So pretty much my job is to read a book, give it a rating out of five and say what's good, what's not and is it worth reading.