Chapter 22 A Parlor Song Around the Piano

Start from the beginning

"I understand that you have delayed your trip to the north?" Brandt asked Margaret. Margaret looked slightly surprised at Brandt's question. The music had become louder as guests started to join in singing:

When I came to town lately I found-- 'tis no joke,

Men, Women and Children, Were all wearing cloaks;

So I says to myself, Do as other folks do,

And to be in the fashion, We'll wear a cloak too,

Margaret raised her voice a bit to be heard over the music "No, Lieutenant, I have every intention of moving north. Quite soon, actually."

"So you have no need to remain in London? Nothing is keeping you here?" He asked light heartedly, although his intentions were quite serious.

"What are you getting at, Lieutenant?" Margaret looked away as she asked, quite focused on the small group that was singing around the piano.

"You should call me Teddy."

"I'm afraid I don not know you well enough, Lieutenant."

"But you seem comfortable using Henry's christian name." There it was, she thought to herself. This was about Henry's attention towards her.

For we all wear cloaks, We all wear cloaks,

To be in the Fashion, We all wear cloaks.

Young Miss with her beauty-- Her airs and her graces,

In he hood of her cloak Often carries two faces;

Her lover declares She's an angel uncommon,

Till she throws off her cloak, When he finds she's a woman.

"Lieutenant Brandt, i have known Henry Lennox since I was a girl. Surely you can understand. He is like family." Margaret explained.

"Of course, of course. Your cousin tells me that you have a very unique relationship with Henry. He's been a guardian to you ... of your properties ... while you were away." Brandt had backed himself into an awkward corner, which Margaret immediately recognized and sought to set him at ease. "You should not listen to my cousin's idle gossip, sir. Nor my aunt's. Married women make great sport of finding appropriate matched for we poor unmarried souls."

Some Clergymen there are, Of the hypocrite stock,

Who care more for the fleece Than they do for the flock;

You may always know such Before you instal (sic)--

For the larger the salary, The louder the call.

For we all wear cloaks, We all wear cloaks,

To be in the Fashion, We all wear cloaks.

"Miss Hale, I have greatly enjoyed my time in London and I have you and your ward to thank for this. I am glad that I have the opportunity to speak with you now, as I suspect tomorrow evening's festivities will be less opportune. " Here he paused, wanting to chose his words carefully. " I intend to take a leave of absence from my duties at the garrison as I plan to spend some time with my son in the north."

Margaret noticed that he had moved closer to her, and she could feel that very little physical space remained between them. She lowered her head to avoid looking into his eyes and felt a warm blush on her cheeks. She could not find it in her to say what she felt, which was that she had looked forward to his visits, and that a maternal tug played at her heart while she watched him play with Maria Louise. She did not love Lieutenant Brandt, but she understood how easily a woman could. She hesitated as she answered him. "I, I think it is a very good thing that you do, Lieutenant. For you and for your son."

Brandt was relieved that she had helped him in his clumsy attempts to pay her a compliment. Despite his military charm and composure, he found that he lost all vestiges of his training when it came to speaking intimately to women. He relaxed and sat back in his chair. "Miss Hale, I think we should join the others. The songs are quite merry and I believe that despite your serious demeanour," he gave her an exaggerated scowl "you are feeling quite happy this evening. There is certainly something about you. It reminds me of when we were all so young."

She smiled as she offered him her hand, so that she could walk her to the other side of the room. Leaning in, Brandt whispered in her ear "Please, Miss, will you save the first dance for me tomorrow evening?" Edith had given her place at the piano to one of the young doctors who lived on Harley Street. He was engaged to one of the young ladies in the room and coyly made love to her through his song;

Twinkling stars are laughing love,

Laughing on you and me;

While your bright eyes look in mine,

Peeping stars they seem to be.

Troubles come and go, love,

Brightest scenes must leave our sight;

But the star of hope, love, Shines with radiant beams tonight.

Margaret waited for the chorus of the song before she responded. "Yes, Lieutenant. I would be delighted to dance with you."