Chapter 50 - A Celebration

The carriage was packed with two smaller valets, one for the bride and one for the groom. A small group consisting of Margaret's family had gathered in the drive in front of Fanny's home to see the couple off for their abbreviated honeymoon. Fanny chose to remain behind with her guests. Maria Louise silently cried as she said goodbye to Margaret, unsure of when she might see her Aunt again. Three days seemed as though it were a life time to the child, especially since the day light had grown so short and the nights were so very long.
Edith squeezed her cousin tightly. "You must write us, dear Margaret." She said authoritatively. Margaret laughed. "I always do! It is you that must write to me from your winter holidays. Or will you remain in London this year?"
"Oh, you remind me, Margaret. Did Sholto tell you? We are to stay with Teddy and his family at Christmas! Of course, Mama will never agree to it, but I think it will be a marvelous time for the boys. All that fresh air and running about! " She stopped suddenly and processed a brilliant idea. "You should come and stay with us, Margaret. You could bring Maria Louise with you! You know how Teddy took to her. He was so heartbroken when you left London. I'm sure he would gladly extend the invitation. Isn't that right, Sholto?"
Margaret stiffened, which did not go unnoticed by John, who stood by her side.  "We woudn't dream of imposing." was all she said, but John felt that a flat out refusal would have been more appropriate .
"It's sure to be great fun." Sholto concurred. "Henry may sneak away from the office for a few days after Christmas."
"Oh, dear. Poor Henry." Edith rolled her eyes. "Perhaps we can find him a squires daughter with a bit of land. So far north, so difficult for those girls to meet anyone from London. He shall be quite the catch."
John cleared his throat, indicating that he was finished with the topic and ready to leave. "I'm afraid we will miss our train, Margaret." His voice was strained; at the mention of the officer's name John felt the jealousy start to curl around him, compressing his lungs and making it difficult to breath. "Yes, of course." Margaret touched his sleeve lightly, feeling the tautness of his body. "Good bye, Edith! Good bye Sholto! Thank you both ever so much!" She stepped up into the carriage, guided by John's strong hand.

As the carriage drove to Marlborough Mills, the couple sat quietly for a few moments.  Margaret folded her hands in her lap as she looked out the window.  Many on the street, recognizing the Thornton carriage, tipped their hats and called out their congratulations and best wishes to the bride and groom.  She turned to John and smiled warmly.  "I like how that sounds, Mr and Mrs Thornton."  John took her hand in his own and kissed it gently.  He hoped that the gesture was enough, for he could not speak.  The raw edge of jealousy now cut through him causing a dark mood to set upon him. 

*****

Nicholas Higgins leaned against the cold stone of the mill's stone wall, in the brisk mid-day air. The music had grown louder in an attempt to be heard over the shouts and laughter of the crowd, celebrating the marriage of the Master.   A fiddle, a pipe and an accordion played lively music that encouraged all forms of dancing, to the point that most outerwear had been discarded, despite the biting cold. Nicholas kept a close eye on his oldest step daughter, who danced all to familiarly with a young weaver.  He had been encouraged to dance after consuming several glasses of ale, but Pru had swatted him off, feigning preoccupation with serving food.  Nicholas allowed himself to feel a few moments of complete contentment in his life.  He had survived loss and starvation, and times of near destitution.  He looked before him and saw what life had handed him in return for that suffering; his daughter and grandchildren, his pack of six brats that he could not love more than if they were his own and a woman who was able to fill his heart with a love that he never thought he would enjoy twice in one short life. He saw the Thornton carriage enter the yard and swaggered towards it, the ale making him feisty and in need of a good battle of the tongues with his friend.