Chapter 15 - A Moment Alone

She held fast to him, her fingers digging and gathering the material of his coat into tight fists. She would not let him go. Never again. Her need for him was frightening and overwhelming, far beyond the distant yearning she had felts for him for so long. Her life changed in an instant; being loved by John Thornton was now her present and her future.
He was whispering to her, saying words of disbelief and joy - he never thought himself worthy of her - and gently calling out to god, thanking Him for hearing his prayers. His arms surrounded her, pulling, never satisfied that she was close enough. His lips touched her hair and face in delicate wonder.
His coat and starched shirt were rough against her face, reddening her cheeks to a warm glow. When she lifted her head, his mouth was instantly on her own, drinking in her very life force, and she responded eagerly, seeking to satisfy his need.
"We must leave." He murmured, not willing to let go of her.
"Where shall we go?" She asked, breathless in his embrace. he chuckled softly. "I suspect your Aunt's home is out of the question."
"Clearly." She gave a small laugh. "Are you staying near by?"
"Margaret ..." He said with a bit of shock, at the suggestion that she be alone with him at his hotel.
"I was thinking tea, sir. In the lobby." She scolded him with a smile. He buried his face in her hair and inhaled her scent. "Too far. I'm staying at the Great Northern Hotel, by Kings Cross Station. "
Margaret pulled her head back and looked up into his face. "Not so far from from Harley Street."
"Unexpectedly convenient lodgings, yes my love." He gazed into her eyes and smiled tenderly.
"Shall we go to the park, perhaps walk some?" She suggested.
"Yes, we have much to discuss."
"We will need a handsom. Come, let us head that way." She reluctantly broke from his embrace and crouched down to pick up the delicate blue shawl, that had slid off and landed at their feet.
"I remember that shawl. A very fine piece from India." John took it from her and wrapped it around her shoulders. She was surprised that he remembered the details of a shawl and looked at him with a bit of wonder.
"Draper shop boy. I know my fabrics." He jested and went to the tea table to retrieved his hat, gloves and her bonnet.
They went to the foyer, passing the sheepish clerk on the way who bid them both a good day.
At the mirror in the hallway, Margaret tied her bonnet into place, arranging loose strands of hair.
"There. " She said and turned to John. "Presentable?" He smiled broadly at her. "Aye, a lovely lady, indeed." He took a step ahead and pushed the door open for her. As they stepped outside she laced her arm through his and smiled brightly up at him.
Their journey was just beginning.