Chapter 20 A Letter From Papa

Margaret entered the nursery putting on her best face.  She had received a letter from her brother Frederick, written while he and his two boys were at sea.  The letter was over a month old, with no indication of whether they had safely arrived in port.  Travel for Frederick was extremely dangerous, especially through the ports of West Africa, where the English dominated the port towns.  Frederick was still a fugitive of the English Navy and there was still a price of 100 pounds on his head.  Frederick's letter included a correspondence for Henry Lennox, with instructions as to how to reach his father-in-law, Senor Barbour, and secure an annuity for Maria Louise.  The letter also contained a single sheet, written in Spanish and intended for Maria Louise.

While Lilly slowly rocked in a chair by the fire, mending small tears in Mria Louise's clothes, Margaret sat on the girl's small bed and drew her into her lap to read the letter to her. 

My Dearest Maria Louise,

I hope that you and Margaret are well and enjoying your stay in London.  Your brothers and I have started our great journey to Ambriz, where we will take care of your grandfather's business. It will be warm there and there will be new markets and foods to explore.  We have heard that a peculiar little monkey favors the market just a few minutes walk from Granfather's warehouses, and that if you are not careful, he collects all the gentlemen's hats and hides them high up in the trees.  I cannot wait to tell you of the adventures that we have in Africa, as it will be new to all of us. 

Adventures can also be very  frightening, especially as we wait for them to start.  By the time this letter reaches you, I expect that you will have started yours in England, and it may be difficult all that is going on and being said around you.  I also expect that you miss your family and find that life in London is very loud and busy compared to Cadiz.  When i was a little boy, i too went London to visit my old Aunt Shaw.  Has Margaret told you her tale of going to London when she was just a young girl and she stayed for ten years?  That was a very difficult time for me because I stayed behind in the country with my parents and missed my sister terribly.  We wrote many letters to each other during that time, and I left for to become a sailor, but I never stopped loving your Aunt Margaret.   The boys and I miss you terribly and pray that you are happy with your aunt.  One day, my precious girl, we will all be together again. 

I will write to you as often as possible and will have your brother's do the same.  They send their love to you and your aunt. 

Your loving Father,

Papa

After arranging Maria Loisue under the covers, Margaret knelt by her bedside, gently stroking the child's hair. She spoke softly as she told the girl about the adventure that awaited them.  They were going to a city in the north, where Margaret had lived as a young lady; where there was a school with many children similar in age to Maria Louise, and that Margaret was going to help teach them to read and write, much in the same way she was educating Maria Louise.  She told her that the city was dark, but that a short walk would bring them to hills and moors, and that heather grew wild and produced a lovely, sweet honey that was delicious on biscuits.  She told Maria Loise of the snow and how she would wake up one morning to find the entire city was covered with a crystal layer, as though the winter fairies had painted it all while she slept .

Maria Louise pulled the blanket up to her chin and scrunched up her nose.  "The children, Tia.  Will they be like cousin Sholto and cousin Maxwell?" Margaret smiled at the girl's question as she knew that they had not  extended any effort to welcome the young girl into the Harley Street  house.   Maria Louise struggled with her cousins; they spoke too fast, teased the servants mercilessly and  rolled their eyes at the thought of playing with a girl.  Their father also required that they spend much of their time studying with their grim tutor who smelled of dust and dampness, like the root cellar.  "Que hele mal y tiene una cara como un cuervo."  Maria Louise exclaimed as she pulled the blankets.  Margaret knew immediately who Maria Louise was referring to and of the offacious odor.  She pulled down the blankets and gave the girl's nose a gentle squeeze. "Now, now the smell isn't quite so bad."  she laughed. "And yes,  he does look like a bird."

Maria Louise reached up and touched the delicate gold cross that hung about Margaret's neck.  The necklace was her Mama's and it was their secret that Margaret was keeping the necklace safe for Maria Louise to wear when she was older.  Margaret chose to conceal it beneath her clothing, however the slight tousle of placing Maria Loise under the blankets had worked it free.  Margaret covered the child's hand with her own as it grasped the gold cross.  "We keep our family with us, here, Maria Louise." Margaret gently  touched the girl's chest.  "It helps us keep our hearts open to new love as well."  She tucked the necklace into her collar.

The child slyly smiled at her aunt.  She noticed that Margaret was not in black, but was wearing the lovely sapphire blue evening gown that she had worn in Cadiz.  The fabric had been imported from the far east, and sewn by a local dress maker in Cadiz who favored the subtle sensuality of a fitted gown with a high neckline and  long sleeves.  Margaret's dark hair was arranged in a low chignon that glimmered in the light .  She wore her head bare but covered her hands with black lace gloves.  "You look pretty, Tia. No more black.  Too sad and Mama would not like you being so sad." Margaret stood and neatly re-arranged the covers on the child.  She bent down and kissed the child's forehead.

"You are right, Maria Louise.  I do feel happy and YOU are a big part of that. Good night my dear child."

Margaret left the nursery to rejoin the boisterous dinner party below.