8. The World Was At War

Start from the beginning

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise us," Steve said looking from Fury to Lucy. She nodded in agreement.

"Ten bucks says you're wrong. There's a debriefing package waiting for you back at your apartment." Steve began to pick up a punching back as Lucy grabbed their duffle bag and followed him, walking out of the room. "Is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseract that we out to know?"

"You should have left it in the ocean." The two Super Soldier's headed back to their apartment after picking up something for dinner. They sat the table in the kitchen eating their food while talking about debriefing package which had been left for them. The radio was turned on and playing jazz music. Steve finished his dinner and looked to Lucy who was slowly eating while looking through the papers. He took her free hand and began to rub the top of it with his thumb. She looked at him and he smiled. After finishing her food, Lucy stood up, pulling Steve up with her. She positioned both of them in a dancing position. They began to sway to the tune of "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin. Mid-song, Lucy rested her head against Steve's chest, closing her eyes.  They continued until they decided it would be best to get some sleep.

The next day, Steve and Lucy were picked up by Agent Phil Coulson. The three were heading to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier to meet with Director Fury and their new co-workers. They were in a Quinjet, both watching the Hulk's attack on the army at Culver University. Lucy was resting her head on Steve's shoulder.

"We're about forty minutes from base, Sir," the pilot said to Coulson. He stood up and walked over to Steve and Lucy, holding onto the railing above them.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me?" Steve asked. Coulson nodded slightly.

"A lot of people were," he replied. "You were the world's first superheroes. Banner thought Gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

"Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much. When he's not that thing, though, the guy's like a Stephen Hawking." Steve and Lucy gave him a confused look. "He's a smart person. I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you two, officially." They both smiled at Coulson. "I sort of met you, I mean, I watched both of you while you were sleeping." Lucy knit her eyebrows together as she looked at the floor. Steve gave a small smile before looking down. Steve closed the laptop and stood up walking to the other side of the plane, standing behind the pilot. Coulson followed and stood next to him. Lucy stayed in her seat but listened to their conversation.

"I mean, I was... I was present while you were unconscious from the ice," Coulson said trying to correct himself. "You know, it's really, it's just a... Just a huge honor to have you two on board."

"Well, I hope we're the men for the job," Steve replied. "Though Lucy is a woman. A beautiful woman I might add." Lucy looked up and smiled at Steve. She could feel her cheeks heat up at the compliment, but questioned why it made her feel that way.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh... We've made some modifications to your suits. I had a little design input."

"The uniform? Aren't stars and stripes a little... Old fashioned?" Lucy questioned.

"With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might need a little old fashioned." The Quinjet landed on what looked like a Battleship. Steve and Lucy walked out with Coulson. A woman shorter than Lucy by about four inches walked over to them.

"Agent Romanoff. This is Captain Rogers and Sergeant Stark," Coulson introduced.

"Ma'am," Steve and Lucy greeted."Captain, Sergeant," Natasha spoke. She turned to Coulson. "They need you on the bridge. Face time."