Chapter Seven

The Next Morning

I slowly wake up to almost everything packed.
"Oh shit, I'm sorry I didn't wake up sooner.." I tell Sean as I sit up.
Sean just smiles at me, "It's okay y/n, I'm sure you needed it."
"Does Mushroom need to be taken out?" I ask.
"If you don't mind, yes." Sean replies.
I nod and walk outside with Mushroom. She barks and starts to jump in front of me.
"You wanna play?" I giggle.
Mushroom ruffs in response and I start running around with her. Shortly after, I hear the door open.
"Looks like your having fun!" Sean says, Daniel behind him.
"She's full of energy, I couldn't keep up!" I reply.
Mushroom runs up to Daniel, and they start to play.
"Are we leaving?" I ask.
"Soon, this place was a good temporary home for us." Sean says.
"It was. I'm glad we found it." I sigh.
"Here's your bag, by the way." Sean says.
"Thank you Sean, I'll be back, before we leave I need to do something." I announce.
I walk around the house with a marker and write, y/n was here :). Chloe and I would always write our names, or sometimes graffiti places for fun. In the corner of my eye, I see something sticking out on the snow. I pull it out and it was a rope, perfect.
"There you are." Sean says, walking towards me.
"I was making my mark!" I exclaim, pointing towards my name.
"Well, unfortunately we have to go now. Sean sighs.
We walk back to the front of the house and see Daniel sitting down with Mushroom.
"Oh, Daniel, I found this if you want to use it as a leash if you don't wanna carry her." I offered.
"Thanks y/n!" He exclaimed.
"Do you guys have everything?" Sean asks.
Daniel and I nod.
"We should go then." Sean says, leading the way.

Beaver Creek
Two Days Later
We made it to Beavers Creek. The walk here was tiring, but everything was so beautiful.
"We made it guys!" Sean cheers as he looks at a mailbox, Reynolds.
"It's so pretty!" I gasp.
"Yeah, it's been a long time since I've been here." Sean admits.
"When was that?" Daniel asks.
"Before you were born." Sean replies.
"Can I hold Mushroom, Daniel?" I ask.
Daniel nods his head and picks up Mushroom from the ground. I pet her as we walk up to the door.
"Let me check you guys out, Claire likes everything super clean." Sean says. "Dad said she got pissed because he let me bring a snowball in the house."
"We don't want to look like total pigs then!" I exclaim.
Daniel giggles as Sean is making sure he looks okay.
"This is weird to say now, but what if they don't like me?" I ask. "I mean, they have no idea who I am."
"It's okay y/n, they're gonna love you!" Sean smiles at me. "You too Daniel."
Mushroom barks and I pet her, swiping off any dirt that might of got stuck in her fur. I mentally prepare myself as Sean rings the doorbell.
"What if they went on vacation, or something?" Daniel asks.
"We'll figure out something." Sean replies.
I see the lights inside turn on shortly after.
"I'm sorry we don't want any-" an older lady, assuming it's Claire stops, looking stunned.
"Hello Claire." Sean says.
"Sean? Oh my.." Claire looks over at Daniel. "Is that.. Daniel? And who is this young lady?"
"What's going on out here?" A older mans voice asks from inside.
"Looks who's here! After all this time..." Claire exclaims.
"What the hell are you doing here?" The older man asks.
"Stephen! Watch your mouth!" Claire snaps.
"It's kind of a long story.." Sean starts, and Daniel starts to cough.
"Oh you poor thing, you know he's sick right?" Claire calls out.
      "Yeah, but-" Sean tries to explain.
     "Okay, inside." Claire starts to bring Daniel inside.  "All of you!"
  Claire brings Daniel and Mushroom upstairs, Sean and I stay downstairs in the dining room. A few minutes later Stephen brings us some tea. I nod as a "thank you" to her. Sean and I sit in silence, Stephen in the room.
     "Hey, is it uh.. warm enough for you guys?" Stephen asks.
        "Oh yeah, feels nice and.. toasty." Sean replies.
     "I totally agree." I add.
        "I gave Daniel some cough medicine, but you guys should have taken care of him. He could have been worse. You were lucky." Claire says as she's walking into the dining room. "Stephen, may I talk to you for a second?"
   Stephen gets up and walks in the next room with Claire. Sean looks around the corner where he is seated and we stay silent, eves dropping in the conversation.
      "So, hows the kid doing?" Stephen asks Claire.
      "He's fine, just has a little cold." Claire replies. "Oh Stephen, what are we gonna do.."
       "Oh uhh.. I don't know.." Stephen sighs.
      "Maybe we should call Guss.." Claire sighed.
   Who the hell is Guss?
      "Hunny, I- I'm not sure that's a good idea..." Stephen urged. "Do we really wanna invoke other people?"
       "Well, maybe he can help. We have to do something." Claire pushed on.
       "A police officer was killed, Claire..!" Stephen snapped. "Ya know, our grandchildren are wanted by the police for murder..!"
       "I know, what if Sean is guilty, sleeping in our home..? Next to us...?" Claire questioned.
     I look over at Sean, he looked super pissed, on the verge of tears! I take his hand and hold it tightly.
       "It's okay Sean, if they ask we just tell them to truth. I know your truth.." I comfort him. 
   Sean just nods as they walk back in. I give Sean another look and continue to hold his hand.
      "Are you guys alright?" Claire asks. "You guys want more tea?"
       "Thanks, I'm good." Sean replies.
I nod in agreement.
       "Well, Sean.. Do you wanna talk about.. uh.." Stephen starts.
      "The police called us a few weeks ago." Claire cuts him off. "They're looking for you as suspects, in a homicide... and for assault and robbery in a gas station.. Now if you want us to help you guys, did you..? Hurt that police officer in Seattle?"
      "I don't know.. I swear.. I don't, too much happened and I'm trying to figure it out but.. all I know is that.. he shot Dad.. and now he's gone." Sean tears up.
     "Oh sweetie... we are so sorry for what happened to your father but.. why did you run away if you were innocent?" Claire asks Sean.
       "I didn't want Daniel to see Dad.. like that.. I felt like I had to protect him.." Sean says.
      "I understand.. but.." Claire struggles to find words.
       "You know the police would separate us! Maybe forever.. Daniel would end up in foster care.." Sean groaned.
      "You can't be sure Sean.." Stephen assures. "Anyway.. atleast you've managed to come her alive. We're glad everyone's okay."
       "I hate to think what could have happened to you guys." Claire says. "You need to think of long term solutions now.
       "I tried.. I swear.. but I can't do everything." Sean sniffled.
        "What are your plans?" Claire asks us.
       "Go down to Mexico.. to Puerto Lobos. Dad has a family house there." Sean replies.
       "Sean.. you can't run away from the law like.. like fugitives!" Claire snapped. "How can you look out for your brother when your all running away from the police?"
       "You guys are gonna stay with us." Stephen says suddenly.
       "Oh Stephen.. maybe we should.." Claire starts.
      "After your mother left.. your Dad never really wanted us in your life.. I can't blame him.. but you're still apart of the family and.. we wanna prove it, okay?" Stephen smiles at us.
      "Seriously? That's, really nice Stephen, thank you." Sean bursts.
       "Thank you both.." I add. "It means a lot, trust me."
        "Okay, but we have to lay down the rules of the house. No mess, no noise, or no service." Claire grinned.
      "The biggest thing is to keep your heads low around here.. Beaver Creek is small, and nosey, and.. nosey." Stephen says.
       "We can stay? Your serious? Awesome!" Daniel comes in. "Oh guys! There's a huge model trail upstairs!"
       "Hey! You're suppose to be in bed young man!" Stephen gets onto Daniel.
       "Yes, yes he is.. but he seems better already." Claire smiles at Daniel. "Anyway, you guys will stay here, atleast until Daniels better.. we'll see what happens next.. So I bet you guys are hungry! Let me fix you something."
       After everyone, including Mushroom ate, Sean, Daniel, Mushroom and I went upstairs in our room. We all finally had new clothes to sleep in.
      "How do you feel, super wolf?" I ask Daniel.
      "Way better! It's nice and warm in here!" Daniel exclaims. "And the food? Yum.."
       "Yeah.. feels good." Seans says.
      "Feeling better? You look cozy." Claire asks Daniel.
    "Yeah, I love that bed! Thanks Grandma." Daniel replies.
       "I found this dog bed for Mushroom in the closet." Claire gives us the bed.
      "Thank you Claire!" I say as I put it near the bed on the ground. Mushroom trots right to it and lays down.
      "Looks like she likes it." I say.
     Claire nods as she puts her hand on Daniels head, "Your temperature is going down."
       "I'm way better now.." Daniel says.
       "You still need to take it easy." Sean tells Daniel.
       "How about we say a little prayer and give thanks?" Claire suggest.
      "It's like.. a bedtime story? Right?" Daniel asks.
      "Well this is a bit like this, yes.. except this story comes from up there." Claire says pointing to the ceiling.
      "The ceiling?" Daniel giggles.
      "So are we ready to pray?" Claire ignores the question. "Just follow my lead.
  I've never been much of a religious person, but we need all the help we can get.
      "Can you ask to bless Dad? And Sean, and y/n? Oh and.. Mushroom! And you and Grandpa. And uh.. everybody else." Daniel asks.
      "Oh my.. you are so sweet." Claire tells Daniel as she sits on the foot of the bed.
      We all hold hands, and close our eyes. I put my head on Sean's shoulder.
      "Thank you Lord for bringing Sean, Daniel, y/n and Mushroom safe and sound to our house. Take care of Esteban. Please, give us strength to get over our hardships of the past, and the trials yet to come. Amen." Claire prays for us.
      "Amen." Sean, Daniel and I follow.
I kept my head on Sean's shoulder.
      "Okay, it's bedtime. Try to get some rest, you still need it. And no rough-housing in here!" Claire says.
     "No worries, we're too tired." Sean says. "Goodnight! Oh and.. thanks again."
      "Yeah.. thank you. Goodnight Claire." I say with a smile.
      "Goodnight Grandma." Daniel tells her.
   Claire walks out of the room and turns off the lights.
      "It feels so nice to have a bed again.." Daniel says as he lays down. "And a bathroom.."
      "I hear that! Plus you don't smell anymore!" Sean joked.
      "Says you!" I snicker.
      "Well.. Claire seems pretty caring.. and nice. I guess Stephen is too. I hope we'll be fine here." Daniel says.
     "I think so. And the more important thing is you'll have time to get better." Sean replies.
     "Sean? Are we in moms old room?" Daniel asks.
    "Nah I don't think this is the one. Not from what I remember. But it's been awhile." Sean admits.
     "Could we.. check it out tomorrow? See if we can find some of her stuff?" Daniel asks.
      "Why would you want to do that?" Sean's tone got a bit angrier.
      "I just don't know anything about her." Daniel sighs.
       "Daniel.. I understand. But we all need to focus where we are now.. and where were off too." Sean sighs. "Mom left us. She made her choice. We gotta make ours, and we can't keep going back. You know what I mean?"
       "Yeah.. I guess." Daniel says.
      "Hey man. You've been doing so great with your.. well, ya know. I was wondering.. how do you do it?" Sean asks.
      "Uh, I don't know. I concentrate and it just happens..." Daniel admits.
      "So.. it makes you feel strong?" Sean asks. Like.. special and mighty?" Sean asks.
     "I don't think that. I don't know, why are you asking?" Daniel replies.
      "Never mind. Just curious.." Sean sighs. "Forget I asked anything. Anyway, remember the rules right? We really don't want Claire or Stephen to ask questions."
     "I know I know.. don't show don't talk." Daniel says.
      "Just keep that in mind and everything should be fine." Sean tells Daniel.
      "Y/n? You've been quiet." Daniel says as Sean turns to look at me.
      "Oh.. yeah I didn't wanna butt into the conversation.." I say.
      "It's fine! You're just as important in the conversation." Sean says.
"Thanks guys. I think I'm just tired." I smile at them.
"Well, lets all get some rest.." Sean says.
I nod my head and close my eyes, falling asleep almost instantly.
      Once week later
      I woke up this morning before Sean and Daniel and did the normal things you'd do when you wake up. After my little morning routine I went downstairs with Mushroom to see Claire starting breakfast.
      "Goodmorning Claire." I say with a smile.
      "Goodmorning y/n. Glad to see your up early." Claire responds. "Are you bringing Mushroom out?"
     "Yes, after I'm done from out there can I help you? I enjoy cooking a lot." I say.
     "I normally don't need help but I can make an exception for you!" Claire smiles at me.         
          I nod and walk outside with Mushroom. Five minutes later I come back inside and Mushroom just walks upstairs, assuming to go see Stephen. They've been getting along great. I go and wash my hands and  start to set the table, after that's finished I help Claire cook some scrambled eggs. After a while I hear Daniel talking to Stephen, then he comes downstairs.
      "Good morning Grandma! Good morning y/n!" Daniel exclaims with a smile.
     "Good morning hun." I smile and bring Daniel into a hug. "Is Sean up yet?"
      "No, he's such a sleepy head!" Daniel replies.
We both start giggling, I can see Claire smiling at ya from the corner of my eye.
      "I'm gonna go upstairs to help Stephen and Mushroom with the train!" Daniel exclaims.
     "Okay hun, breakfast will be done soon though." I tell Daniel as he rushes back upstairs.
      "You two are something else, you get along great!" Claire chuckles.
     I smile at Claire and nod my head. We continue making breakfast.
     "Sean! Finally.." I hear Daniel say upstairs.
     "Sean are you awake? Breakfast is almost done so come down when your ready, okay?" Claire yells upstairs.
     "Okay!" Sean responds.
   Shortly after Sean comes downstairs and sits down.
     "Oh my, looks who's awake!" Claire says. "Good morning sleepyhead."
    "Good morning Sean." I say with a smile.
     "Good morning y/n, good morning Claire." Sean replies.
     "Daniel! Breakfast time!" Claire tells upstairs to Daniel. "Your brother and y/n are ready!"
      "Grandpa is showing me a boxcar!" Daniel replies.
      "Stephen, your grandson need to eat now! You can show him the boxcar later!" Claire tells Stephen.
  Mushroom comes downstairs and sits infront of her food bowl.
     "You hungry Mushroom?" I tease with a smile.
I put food in Mushrooms bowl. I turn around and see Daniel sitting down at the table. I go and sit in the empty seat.
     "Are you boys done playing?" Claire asks Daniel.
     "We had a express delivery with the passengers, but the engine broke down!" Daniel says.
      "Yep, has to go straight to the workshop!" Stephen says coming into the kitchen.
      "Good, no trains in the kitchen, remember?" Claire asks Stephen.
      "Gotcha, chief." Stephen replies.
     "Chu chuuu!" Daniel says, making a hand motion of a train signal. 
      "Oh sugar!" Claire says. "He can fix his trains, but not my kitchen."
Claire starts to put the eggs on our plate.
     "Thank you Claire." I smile.
     "Thank you for helping." Claire smiles back at me. "Did we make enough? Is everything okay?"
      "It's great, as usual." Sean says.
      "You guys are the best cooks ever!" Daniel says.
      "Looks like you guys are getting cozy with this new country life after all." Claire starts up a new conversation.
      "Yeah, it's nice to be far away from everything, feels like we're the only ones out here." Sean says.
      "I totally agree, I love it! Reminds me of home sometimes." I add.
      "Well, that's exactly why we love it! It feels safe unlike the big city." Claire exclaims.
      "Yeah, I get it." Sean says.
      "I like it! It's cool here." Daniel adds.
      "Well bless your soul.. You'd get along good with our neighbors!" Claire says. "We try to lend a hand, like to Charles next door.. He lost his wife and.. things have been hard on him and his son. He would just get lost in Seattle. But we're all taking care of him here."
      "How old is his son?" Daniel asks Claire.
      "I think he's your age!" Claire replies.
     "Ooh! Cool.." Daniel says.
   We all eat til our plates are completely empty. I go to start to stack our plates til Daniel uses his power to stack them. I look at him in shock, as did Sean, but we didn't say anything. He puts them down right when Claire turns around.
     "Oh! And I though Stephen was a fast eater!" Claire giggles.
      "Grandma, I wanted to ask you something." Daniel says. "About that locked room upstairs.."
       "Uhh, I told you there is nothing to see in it, Daniel.." Claire replies.
      "Why were you in it this morning then?" Daniel asks.
      "Because there's a lot of old junk in there, and... besides it's not safe for you to explore in there." Claire says walking to the sink with the plates.
      "But we'll be fine!-" Daniel tries to say.
      "Why don't you go explore outside? You look like your getting a lot better!" Claire starts a new conversation. "Get some fresh air!"
        "I'll wait for Sean, y/n and Mushroom! We won't be loud! Promise!" Daniel says getting up.
       "But be careful nobody sees you." Claire warns. "Stay in the back, okay?"
Daniel walks off upstairs and I start to get up.
      "Maybe you should tell him that it was Karen's room.." Sean says to Claire.
     "It's just a room now, Sean. Nothing to see." Claire says.
      "Daniel needs that.. He doesn't know anything about her..." Sean sighs.
      "I know, that poor thing... but his mother isn't in there anymore.." Claire says. "So nobody goes on the room, okay? I'm serious."
       "It's cool, I don't care. She left us anyway. Sean sighs.
      "Yes Sean.." Claire half whispers. "She left all of us.. Anyway, you have to respect my rules under my roof, okay?"
     "Of course, always." Sean says, the end a bit sarcastic.
      "I appreciate that Sean, now you guys better go find Daniel." Claire says. "There's a shed with some old toys inside I'll.. bet Stephen has the key."
      "Daniel will love that!" I exclaim.
      "Yeah, Daniel will freak." Sean giggles. "Thank you."
  I walk upstairs to go get dressed to go outside. As I'm walking out I see Mushroom and bring her to go get Sean but the door is closed. I don't think much of it and go sit on the couch to wait for Sean and Daniel.
      I wonder what Sean's and Stephen are talking about... but I'm glad we're here, safe. I'm happy that Daniel got better, Sean's safe, and Mushrooms safe. I know we'll have to leave eventually, we can't let Claire and Stephen get in trouble because of us, I mean we're running away from fucking cops. I don't know what will happen to us if we did get caught.. who knows? They'll probably separate us all.. I look around and see Claire is gone, she was by the front door. Just then Sean comes out of Stephens room.
      "Oh! There you are Sean! Got the key?" Claire says. "I've gotta go run some errands, can you do me a big favor? Do you know how to run a washing machine?"
        "Since I was about eight.." Sean sarcastically replies.
      "Of course! Can you throw in yours, y/n's and your brothers clothes after the next load?" Claire asks. "They're in the bathroom basket!"
      "Totally, yeah... no problem." Sean replies.
      "Thank you so much! Feel free to start tidying your stuff too." Claire says. "It's good for the health to keep a house clean"
      "Definitely." Sean replies.
     "Oh and remember for your own safety, no phone and no internet." Claire warns. "I know, I know, boring rules."
      "Don't worry Claire." Sean says.
   "Hey Sean, I got the clothes don't worry about it." I say walking towards him.
        "Thanks y/n, I'll clean our room then." Sean says.
I nod and go get our clothes from the bathroom, and bring them downstairs and put them in the washer. Then I go get Mushroom from the couch and wait by the door.
      "Alright, time to go burn off some calories, what do ya say?" Sean says behind me.
     "Yeah!" Daniel says running behind us.
    We all put our coats and shoes on and go outside, Mushroom trailing behind.
      "Awe man, finally! Feels so good to be outside." Daniel says. "Reminds me of the cabin, right? Awooo!!"
      "Haha! Oowwwooo!" Sean mocks.
  "Awwwwoooo!!" I join and giggle.
"Watch our for the pack!" Daniel says, giggling.
We go towards the shed as Sean struggles to open it.
      "Get ready for storage wars!" Sean says.
     "What's wrong?" Daniel asks.
     "Frozen shut." Sean replies. "Of course."
  I see Daniel turn around and I look with him. I see a boy, about Daniels age running towards a tree house.
     "Sean! Look!" Daniel says.
  Daniel and I walk towards him a bit as Sean continues to struggle with the door. The boy was going up his tree house til one of the steps broke, and Daniel uses his power to save him. I look at Daniel in shock and back at the boy, who's on the ground safely now. Sean was beside us at this point and looked at Daniel. We walk towards the fence, the boy was up now and Daniel waved at him. The boy smiled at us and saved back. We all wave at him.
      "Uh, gh, did you see that?" The boy asked, amazed.
    "Uh, see what? We just got here." Sean says. "Are you okay?"
     "Uh, yeah!" The boy answers. "I didn't see anything either! Okay.. I just fell down.. into the snow.. Huh.. Dad says I'm kinda clumsy."
      "That's an awesome costume!" Daniel says. "Who's your favorite superhero? I love.."
      "PowerBear!" They say together and laugh.
     "Oh man! I have the Mega PowerBear!" The boy exclaims. "You should check it out!"
      "Ooh so cool! I got the Chibi-PowerBear, the talking one!" Daniel replies.
      "NO ONE CAN DEFEAT JUSTICE!" They say together.
      "Chris oh god.." an older man comes up and crouches to the boys level. "Look I am so sorry... are you okay?"
      "Dad! I'm fine.." Chris reassures his father.
      "I promise!"
     "Are you sure? Listen I shouldn't have..." Chris's Dad looks at us and stands up, in a protective way by his son. "Do you know them?"
       "It's-it's okay Dad, they're cool!" Chris reassures his Dad. "He loves superheroes! Even PowerBear!"
      "Ahh.. gotcha.." Chris's Dad says. "H-hey there! Are you staying with the Reynolds?"
     "Oh.. Uh, yeah. They're our grandparents." Sean replies.
     "I-I see." Chris's Dad says. "Aw jeez Chris, you don't have any damn shoes on. I'm sorry buddy, let's get you inside."
      "I- uh.." Chris struggles. "Yeah, okay Dad."
      "Thanks guys." Chris's Dad says. "Oh, and uh.. if Claire asks, tell her everything is fine."
       "Sure.. no problem.." Sean replies.
      "Cool. See you around then." Chris's Dad says.
    Chris's Dad puts Chris on his shoulders and they walk away.
      "Thanks guys.." Chris waves at us as they leave. "See you later.."
     "Yes! We will!" Daniel waves.
   "Daniel! Did you forget everything about the rules already?" Sean asks.
      "Sorry Sean, did you want him to fall?" Daniel says.
      "Sean, Daniel did the right thing. I was watching. Chris would have hurt himself badly." I tell him.
       "You're right y/n, I'm sorry." Sean sighs. "You did the right thing Daniel, but listen. We can't let anybody know. We have to keep a low profile out here."
      "He's like, my age!" You would have done the same thing! Don't be mad.." Daniel concedes.
     "I'm not mad, dude. It's.. it's over." Sean says. "Daniel, remember we're hiding out... so no training and no showing off your power. From now on, you stick with me and y/n all the time. Okay?"
    We giggle and push eachother around a bit to lighten the mood. I can tell Daniel and Chris will be great friends.