2. Confession

It's a tragedy that love is given the place of tragedy. An atheist begins to pray, a devotee renounces his beliefs, a conman's deception falls, an innocent's credit is restored - all at the face and result of a tragedy. Hence it's a pity that when people try to shield themselves from facing another tragedy, they end up in one worse than the one they feared.

Today Payal realized that she had long overcome her grief of being left at the altar because it barely hurt her as much as the sight of Akash's glasses lying amidst the thorns. He didn't have to die. It was avoidable. She should have listened to him. Explained her reason. How many times would she lose the one closest to her heart?

"I lost you," Payal choked, "now how will I tell you that I love you?" She reached for his glasses amidst the thorns.

Khushi gasped, it was one thing to see confessions in movies and another to see it in real life. Love did happen. Arnav saw it too. He felt it because Khushi lived it; from the moment Payal confessed to Akash's magical appearance to prevent the thorn from hurting Payal further.

When Payal hugged Akash, Khushi instantly grabbed Arnav's arm, forgetting who they were and what was between them. In a few, rare moments Arnav watched Khushi bask in a happiness that almost rivaled Payal's.

A surge of relief shot through Payal. She hadn't lost Akash, unlike her mother. Akash treasured her, his hands hesitant of touching her, aware of the audience they had. Slowly, he let himself believe that Payal was indeed in his arms.

One sign broke Payal's bubble. A small thumbs up exchanged between Arnav and Khushi.

It was an act.

Coldwater splashed on Payal. Her embrace lost its warmth.

"So this was orchestrated?"

"Payal," Akash put himself between the two people who had helped him so long. He held her gaze and said, "I'm sorry we lied, I'm sorry I lied, but if this plan wasn't in place then how would you know that you love me too?"

Every inch of relief was replaced by anger. There was no regret, no confusion in Akash. Only a soft smile.

"Do you think I refused you because I didn't love you?" Payal asked.

"But you just told me that you could not marry me-"

"Jiji-" Khushi interrupted.

"No," Payal snapped, harsher than intended. "I am especially disappointed in you. What were you thinking?"

"Jiji, you were in denial!"

"Exactly. I am aware I love him and I choose not to think about it. This," Payal gestured to all of them, "made a mockery of what I feel for him and Akash ji-" Payal turned to face him, "-I would come to save anyone if they told me they were committing suicide because of me, even Abhishek."

Payal let out a small, sad smile at Akash's confusion, "Of course, you won't know who Abhishek was. He was my fiance."

"Payal, please if you didn't turn up then I would have really-"

"Don't Akash ji. I respect you, but you cannot blackmail me to love you. And now I wonder if you even loved me?" Akash stepped back, physically hurt from her accusation. Khushi held her head, how did everything go south! There was Payal getting the one chance to be in love and she was squandering it away?

Arnav knew he had to intervene. Payal, truly like her sister, was being overdramatic. The confession was done, the feelings were mutual and reciprocated, everything else could be handled.