Chapter 1 - Ruined present

𝗔𝗿𝗰 𝟭: 𝗔 𝗛𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗥𝗲𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗱

-

This feels like a joke...

《Life form Shion and Souei has been cut from the soul corridor》

Screams erupt from my right and to my left

《Being Benamiru and Rigurd are no longer within soul reach》

A never ending prank, that would scar and cause me nightmares.

《Gobuta, Ranga, Go-》

Everything around me became red, as the only sound I can currently hear is a light static noise that constantly rings over and over. It's like everyone became mute and the damn ringing is all I could hear!

If this is just a dream-- a nightmare, please make it stop.

I grip the sides of my head, pulling my hair as I tried to block my senses. I couldn't really help to stop the tears falling from my eyes, how could I not? Everyone that I cared about are either dead or dying!!

I looked at the terror in front of me.

Why!? Just why is this happening to me?!

Earlier, everyone was just laughing and living their best life.

The bright and dazzling smiles of children as they run around the streets, hopeful for the new world and to their futures. Citizens walking around and conversing with one another as friends or old acquaintances, jokes and words were exchanged as another day began.

...

Those are no more to be seen as I watched the horrible state of my people...

Their bodies, easily ripped apart.

And their smiles... god their smiles! It was all wiped away from their faces as the life in their eyes slowly dwindled, till it disappeared entirely.

I clutched my chest, tighter.

Now, everything that I cared for are crumbling away and I'm not even strong enough to stop it, I couldn't even save any of them...

I let out a bitter laugh.

And they all said I was the strongest, my skills don't even work on those things.

Even then, I did try

Those who are watching from above knows that I tried!

It was my fault that this happened.

I blamed myself for the misfortune of others, and I have every reason to...

Why blamed it to being unprepared?

No one would have died if I was just stronger.

"My lord..."

Someone's calling me? I choked a sob.

"lord Rimuru."

Is this it? Have I finally gotten so out of touch from reality that I am starting to hear someone calling for my name?

"lord Rimuru!

I was suddenly pulled back into the present as Diablo gripped my shoulders while shaking me gently. I slowly blinked, stunned for a moment as I realized that I was crouching on the ground. Looking up towards the demon, my mind could only slowly process that the other was with me and giving me a worried gaze.