Ꮯhᥲρtꫀɾ 𝟙: Miss Me?

Lydia's Diary Entry
August 7, 2023

    Dear Diary,

    With my departure for college tomorrow, I've lately been reflecting on my unusual life journey that led me to this point. It's been a roller coaster, for sure. My story certainly isn't like the others I've heard. With the loss of Mama came far more paranormal activity than I had expected... which, for the record, I hadn't expected any. If I talked about it, folks 'round here would think I lost my mind, but it sure makes my life interesting.

    Sometimes, I sit around and the memory of the demon who coerced me into a marriage at 15 pops into my head. I suddenly remember, "Oh right. That was a thing that happened." But I don't want to write his name here. Would he be summoned if his name was written as opposed to being spoken? Not gonna take that risk. It taught me a valuable lesson, though: to be careful who I trust. I wouldn't describe myself as cynical now, but... okay, maybe a little, but I was also cynical before, so it's not something new.

    But the paranormal activity wasn't a bad thing. I met Adam and Barbara. God, I love those two, even if they're overbearing sometimes. Out of everyone in this house, I think they "get" me the most. I'm going to miss them when I leave.

    Dad is a close second, though. I mean, I wouldn't say he quite "gets" me, but he's the only other one under this roof who had to suffer through Mama's death with me, so we have that in common. He didn't show it at the time, but I now know that, yes — he was, in fact, suffering. He just wanted to be strong. Like always. Mama used to tell him that she didn't need a man of steel. She'd stop him and make him live through it, and even though I don't have Mom's way with words, I think I've made him do that, too. He doesn't repress any memories of her to protect himself anymore. On the contrary, he opens up conversations about her sometimes. He talks about her. That's all I could ask for.

    You know, I sometimes wonder what Mom would think of all this, anyway. Two, real-life ghosts, living in our house! She would've loved it.  And she would've been so proud of how Dad learned not to completely soldier on. She would've been proud of me for finishing high school all the way. ... I still miss her every day, but I've gotten better, just like him. I'm not as sad as I used to be. I still think about the fact that, if it wasn't for the demon, I wouldn't be here today. And, for the record, I'm glad I'm still here. I took a chance on life and people. It was so worth it, and here I am. Nineteen years old. Still flesh and bone. I even started wearing colors again, and I experimented with hair dyes besides black. I didn't even think I'd live to see my graduation, much less live to see myself become happy again.

     I'll miss these losers when I leave. But I got accepted into NYU! I haven't visited Mama's grave in over a year because it's such a long drive. I'll visit her all the time when I'm back in New York. I'll even bring her new flowers every week. Maybe I'll visit our old house. I'm majoring in photography, so I'm sure the Maitlands will appreciate seeing pictures of our old place.

    I should probably get back to packing. After all, I leave tomorrow. So... until next time, diary. It's been real.

Lydia.

. . .