2. Food for Thought

♡ Chapter 2 ♡

~~~~

12:37AM

Some kids in the canteen were screaming. Changbin made a point to not sit anywhere near them on normal days, but the school lunch today was one of the better meals, and as a consequence, the canteen was packed.

So packed, in fact, that he and his friends had to take the first empty seats together that they could find, even if it meant flipping off some whiny underclassmen who, to be fair, hadn't even bought food yet. Sure, the canteen was warm in the winter, but hogging seats that people would actually use to eat in? Brats. Not to say that the people sitting on the table with them weren't as bad. He gave Chan and Jisung a Look™ as one of the kids threw a yogurt-covered spoon vaguely in their direction with a screech.

"I'm questioning my life choices right now." Chan murmured as he got jostled by the person next to him, while Jisung was leaning into the wall to avoid Chan bumping into his side. Changbin, sitting opposite them, was in a similar situation, balancing off of the edge of his seat to put as much distance between himself and the kids as he could. Were they really playing with Pokemon cards here? What if someone spilt gravy on them? "So anyway, kids, how's your day been so far?" Chan's voice was strained, but he looked at them warmly, ever the saint. Changbin was shovelling food into his mouth, because he definitely didn't want to risk anything being thrown into his food before he ate it, so Jisung took the initiative, putting his strawberry milk down with a sigh.

"Maths was pretty shit, Chemistry was very shit, and in Geography we watched a documentary so that was cool." He summed up his day bluntly, taking a slurp of his drink, and the others nodded knowingly. Changbin was still eating, so he gestured for Chan to give his own answer.

"Music was really good, I managed to get a lot done for that track I've been working on! I'm going to have to ask one of the guys from the choir to do the vocals for me soon. -not this time, Sungie, you have tests to revise for- and I need to get that figured out soon, but it should all be a-okay in time for the deadline!" Changbin and Jisung clapped softly. The coursework subjects all had deadlines imminent, and this most definitely meant that Chan would have to spend lunchtimes working on it to get everything finished on time. 

"Yeah, isn't the deadline like Thursday?" Jisung asked, and Chan nodded. 

"Yup! It's in the morning though, cos I've got a music lesson then." He said, and Jisung pouted, eyes cast down to his plate.

"So you won't be able to hang out with us until then..." The sad tone in his voice got Changbin to look up from his food and give Chan the "how dare you upset the child" look. Chan reached over and squished Jisung's cheeks, a desperate look on his face.

"But! I'll be able to hang out with you on Thursday! And you've still got Changbin!" At the mention of his name, Changbin signalled to Jisung, who scooted underneath the table to join him on the other side.

"At least I've got Changbin," He huffed, clinging onto him like a koala. Changbin quickly put his knife and fork down, not wanting to accidentally cause an... injury. Pulling Jisung into a hug, he stuck his tongue out at Chan, who calmly picked up his fork, focusing back on his food.

"Aaanyway... How's your day been, Binnie?" He said. Changbin perked up, and reached into his pocket, the note clasped tightly in his hand. Yeah, maybe he'd gone last intentionally...

"You will not believe what I found in my locker this morning!" He couldn't help the excitement seeping into his voice as he held out the note to his friends. His hands were trembling slightly, as he waited eagerly for their reactions.

And, well, he was not disappointed. 

Jisung choked on his drink, eyes wide in disbelief. "No way!" Changbin held it closer to him, watching as he read it, slack-jawed. Upon examining it, he looked back up at Changbin with a grin. "It's so cute!"

"It's so small, like the fortunes inside fortune cookies!" Chan piped up. Changbin turned it towards him, and he leaned over to read it. "You're so lucky!" He groaned, sitting back in his seat. 

"I know right!" Changbin said, looking at the note fondly. "It's so nice!" Jisung nodded, looking at it again over his shoulder.

"So cool..." He whispered in awe, and Changbin giggled, reaching up to ruffle his hair.

"Also, you know how I was complaining cos I know no one in my maths class?" He remembered something else he'd been wanting to say. Chan and Jisung had gone back to eating, but looked up at him again as he broke the silence. "Turns out the new kid, Felix, is hella cool!"

Chan and Jisung nodded, Chan raising his hand in a fist and whispering "He's such a legend," affectionately. Changbin shot him a surprised look.

"Wait, you know him?" Chan nodded again. 

"Yeah, that kid's made friends with a lot of people, even though he's not been here long, and he's from Australia too, so I had to talk to him. He's nice!"

Changbin nodded. "Yeah, he noticed the note, and was really nice about it! He even asked if we could meet up in the library after school to do some "detective work" and find out who it is!" He said, and Chan wiped a tear from his eye dramatically, passing Changbin the leftover half of his cake.

"For actually socialising and making plans with someone who isn't us." He explained, as Changbin looked at him questioningly. He was about to protest that he actually had a lot of friends outside of school, but decided instead to dig into the cake before Chan changed his mind.

He raised a spoonful of the cake to his mouth with a smile, but froze after biting into it, letting out a whine.

"Oi, what the fuck? This cake is rock solid, my teeth..."

Chan gave him a sheepish grin, while Jisung winced and hugged him a bit tighter, but hey, cake is cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello again! This was chapter 2, thank you for reading ^^ <3

Updates on fridays! 

~Nuki ^__^