But he was willing to help her, and that made her heart feel full.

"I was just wondering if you could tell me if this makes any sense?" She spun her paper around, pointing to the introductory paragraph of the presentation she was also working on for class.

"Oh, yeah. Sure." Tommy took the sheet from her, squinting because her writing was insanely small. "I don't know what this word means," he pointed at stochastic, "but this sounds good. Maybe make the words a little bigger 'cuz your professor might not be able to read it. And I like the little drawings, too."

"Yeah?"

"Hell yeah." He smiled again, handing it back to her.

She knew that he didn't really read it, but she didn't care. Chris couldn't handle Nikki's huffing and puffing any longer, so she had to dissipate some of that friction.

"You got any cigarettes?" He asked the brunette, tapping his fingers against the glass of the table. "I'm dyin' for a smoke, man."

"I think I do..." She stated slowly, trying to recall just where she'd put the carton of Marlboro. Her eyes lit up. "Yes! I do, actually. There's a packet of red's in that leopard-print purse--"

"That one you got in Grass Valley?"

"Yes, that one." Chris confirmed with a nod. "It's on the floor, right next to my red heels."

"Cool. You want one, too?"

"Please."

He pushed away from the table, stamping toward Vince's room. Chris just sighed, satisfied, and went back to whatever it was that she'd been doing.

The woman was in her element, really. Whenever she was partaking in an activity that, somehow, pertained to mathematical finance, Christine was completely and utterly fascinated--thrilled to be focusing on her favorite subject.

"You know he's not a fucking kid, right?" Nikki spat, breaking her concentration.

Without lifting her head--refusing to satisfy her line of sight--Christine just bobbed her head a little bit.

After living with those two men for a few days, it became clear to her just how much of an actual hell Nikki would make it for her.

He was rude, deplorable, neurotic as hell, and Christine felt that they were much, much too similar to be occupying the same living space.

Inevitably, they were going to clash. Badly.

"What? You're ignoring me now? How childish are you Christine?"

"I'm about as childish as what you are a dick." She scoffed. "Stop being such a jerk Nikki, there's no need."

"No need?" Frustrated, he pushed her book to the side to get her full attention. If there was one thing he hated, it was Christine's refusal to make eye contact.

"Fuck you." She mumbled, scrambling to grab it back. But he pushed it further away, unintentionally propelling it to the floor.

He felt bad about that, actually, but he wasn't going to pick it up for her. He had a conscience, not a fucking duty to help her.