Chapter One : Coming of Age 上

11 years later

"Jialing, be still," Mother glared, "We are attending Prince Qianfeng's coming of age party, we need to dress appropriately. Besides you are performing with your sister later."

"Mother," I whined, "The hair is too tight and it's making my head hurt."

Mother smiled but continued to twist my hair up, usually it would be Sister Ju doing my hair but today mother wanted it to be perfect so she did it herself.

"Just let mother do it little sister," Shuizhu comment, applying tint onto her lips. "There is a lot of good looking wealthy men there, maby you'll get lucky and find someone you like."

I wrinkled my face in disgust, "I'm still too young for that. I still have to wait another 3-4years. Beside, I want to take care of mother forever." I smiled sweetly at mother.

"Dumb child*, everyone will grow up and one day leave their parents. You're no different." Mother smiled and pinned a pink flower onto my hair.

"Let's go," Mother got up, "Your father and brothers are probably losing patience."

Surely, Father was pacing around and sighed when we appear. Father and my two brothers sat in the first carriage as we sat with Mother in the next.

"Remember," Mother reminded, "When we arrive, make sure to represent the House of Gui well. Don't bring shame upon our family. Especially you," She pointed at me, "Make sure to greet everyone and don't offend anyone. We can't let Noble Consort Wen lose face,"

I nodded in response, this is going to be fun. I never attend an Imperial Party before. The only reason we were invited was on the account that my Father and His Majesty were childhood best friends and classmates.

As the carriage slowly pulled to a stop, I peeked through the window and gasped in awed. Noble Consort's residency, the Lotus Garden, was absolutely stunning. The air smelled clean and calm with laughters transmitting from the inside. The already bloomed lotus flowers contrasted with the golden Koi fishes swimming below.

"Let's go," Father smiled and led the way, "Children, remember to be polite and use manners. I don't want anyone to say Minister Gui's children has no manners."

"Yes father," we all reply in unison. It was the same speech every time we went out. Father really cared about his face and this pride also traveled down to his children.

We walked inside the garden and people stood everywhere. Children, officials, Dukes, Chancellors, everyone close to the Imperial Family was invited.

"Minister Gui gives greetings to Noble Consort Wen," Father bowed. We all did the same behind him as he turned to the boy beside her.

"Minister Gui greets 1st Prince Qianfeng," Father politely bowed.

"Rise Minister Gui," Noble Consort Wen smiled, "You are a dear friend of His Majesty, no need to be so formal."

Father smiled and looked at the 1st Prince, "I remember when I first saw 1st Prince, he was only to was waist," he touched his waist, "In a blink of a time, he has grown to be taller than me, and even more handsome."

Prince Qianfeng politely bowed, "Qianfeng thanks Uncle Gui's praises, but is unworthy of them. Compare to Uncle Gui, Qianfeng is long short."

Father laughed, "I am already old, but let's not talk more about me," he guested to us, "These are my kids, my first son Yawen, second son Yesun, my older daughter Shuizhu, and my youngest Jialing."

One by one, we bowed, "We greet Noble Consort Wen and 1st Prince Qianfeng."

"Rise rise," Noble Consort Wen gushed, "Such polite and good looking children, I see Lady Gui has been teaching well."