Underbelly

The lower levels of Coruscant differed considerably from the sparkling metropolis above. There were droids constantly cleaning, and polishing every surface so the daylight would reflect the city's glory, and twinkle like the stars at night.
       Under all the prestige and glamour, another world existed. The only light came from the lamps that were few and far between. The streets were damp with ancient grime. The air was thick with the smell of the biological functions of multiple species. Malfunctioned droids sat against walls, among the homeless.
         "Here.  Put this on." Ben took his heavy black cloak, and draped it over Rey's shoulders.
         "I have a cloak. Why do I need to wear yours?"
         "Because you're a woman. And your cloak doesn't hide that very well." He told Rey. (She wasn't quite sure how to take that statement) Ben quietly went around to the other side of the bed. "I'll just borrow Luke's robe. Most people down here have never seen my face. And even if I am recognized, I am expected to be here. Ben walked back to Rey, and lifted the hood over her head, resting it just above her brow. The couple then quietly stepped out the door, and made their way into the night.

          "I'm not a threat to you!" The old man yelled. Poe Dameron was leading Wu Dinn to the makeshift holding cells.
          "Then would you care to explain why you and fancy pants here (pointing to Ember, also cuffed) were attempting to steal a shuttle in the middle of the night?"
          "I told you... they need our help. Your friends are in trouble!" Wu Dinn yelled.
          "A smart mouthed little girl and an ancient old man are going to save the day!" Poe stated incredulously. "Where's Finn!"
         Out of breath, and trying to keep silent, the former storm trooper FN-2187 called on skills he learned in Stormtrooper Corps. He quieted his breathing, kept his footing light and careful. Once he got his breath under control, he focused hard on the conversation between Poe and his co-conspirators.
         If he were to be caught in league with the girl and old man… (he didn't even want to think of how his friends would feel). Still, if Wu Dinn was right, this seemed to be the only way he could help his friends. Poe would never agree to letting him take a shuttle all the way to Coruscant. Especially not with some old guy and a little girl. Commander Dameron would have no reason to trust Finn with such an odd looking mission. Especially after the Canto Bight disaster.

         The brassy clamor of the nearby canteen was echoing through the ally way, concealing the sound of their footsteps. Ben Solo and Rey from Nowhere stalked through the pathways between the towering structures of the elite.
         "It's the dark side, Rey. That was what called you to the cave on Ahch-to . It's like gravitational pull. It will drag you down if you let it." Ben felt fear welling up from within. His experience in the dark side of the force was only misery and pain. What he thought would bring him freedom, brought him into slavery instead. He could not allow Rey to succumb to it as he did.
         "I am aware of the dark side Ben. I saw what it did to you. I want no part of it." Rey's words were full of conviction. And she whole heartedly believed in them.
         "I know... I know you've seen it's effects. But you were looking at it from the outside. It's different from within. It doesn't look dark. It looks powerful, and even beautiful. There is virtually no limit to your abilities, aside from your imagination. It will make you do things you would never have done otherwise. It's seductive. It gives you whatever you want. Once it has its hold on you, it won't easily let go."
       Rey became fearful after hearing Ben's explanation. She recalled what [clone]Luke said after her first conscious experience with the force. ("You went straight to the dark! … you didn't even try to stop yourself!") Was this what Ben meant?
      "What do I do?" Rey started sobbing quietly.
      Ben put his hand on her shoulder, and gently turned her to face him. Although he knew quite well otherwise, Rey felt fragile in his grasp. The circumference of her shoulder barely filled his large palm. He felt he needed to be as careful with his words as he had to be with his hands.
       "Rey... " he sid softly. "Do you remember what you said to me in the elevator?"
        She gave a tiny nod.
       "You said, 'I'll help you.' You did help me. Now, I will help you. I'll keep you from falling to the dark side." With that, Ben took her other shoulder, and gently pulled her into an embrace.
       After a minute recoil, Rey relaxed and allowed herself the comfort and reassurance his arms offered. Ben's heart was beating softly into her ear.
      "How ironic," she thought to herself. "I'm being held and comforted by the very man I tried to kill a few weeks ago. My nemesis. A monster." She let a silent chortle escape from her nose, and sniffled.
      "What?" Ben inquired at the sound. "Is something funny?"
      "No.… it's just... who would have thought this (gesturing to them both) would happen? We were tying to kill each other not long ago. Now.…" Rey couldn't find the words to accurately describe her thought.
       Rey suddenly stepped back and looked up at Ben with acute fear in her eyes.
       "I sense it, too..." Ben said, brandishing and igniting his weapon.    
        Rey quickly threw off the cloak, wielding her saberstaff with a swinging flash of green. At the same time, several red Kyber weapons ignited, surrounding them. The cloaked figures didn't wait. Ben and Rey were bombarded with a barrage of searing red blades from every direction. The two had to focus hard on the force in order to deflect the killing strikes from their targets. 
        Ben hadn't yet acclimated to the fighting style his new weapon demanded, which made offense difficult. Relying on his brute strength and methodical observation, Ben took down two attackers with heavy counter blows. 
        Rey combined her attacks with acrobatics, relying on the force to land correctly. She was already comfortable and familiar with her staff, and fared slightly better than Ben. She managed disarm one, and impale another.
        But there were too many. With short work, both were pinned to the ground with sabers at their throats. The hooded figures were silent. Four of them were holding Ben, and three had Rey. After they subdued the couple, they stood completely still and breathless. Waiting.