We sat there for a few moments, her composing herself, and I more focused on how to make this situation from becoming... quite uneasy and awkward. It would appear I am quite capable of doing that on my own. As we sat, I found myself turning to look towards the fire and back to the box of wood. The flames were slowly dying, causing a soft red glow to fill the nearby space. If it was not given something soon, it would go out. Standing up, I went to pick up a log and place it on the fire.

          "What ever are you doing, Your Majesty?" I heard her ask. I just picked up the log and went to the fire, placing it into the mouth of the flames. Almost instantly, the flames awake, starting to work on it's next feast. "You should not be doing something such as that," I heard from behind me.

           Looking over my shoulder, I furrowed my brow. "And why is that," I asked softly. It would appear I did not know much of anything. "Can I not do something as simple as placing wood in a fire?" She let out a sigh, motioning for me to sit beside her. Continuing to pat the couch, I found myself smiling at her as I took a seat once again.

            "You are the Queen of all the kingdoms, not just this one that you are in." I rose a brow at that. How many Kingdoms were around? "There are far more important things for you to do, things that do not involve getting your hands dirty with simple tasks." Well, I shall disagree with that statement completely. 

           "Will you tell me why you were crying, please?" I asked a few moments later, looking into her eyes. She took a breath, composing herself completely, removing the remaining traces of tears from her cheeks. "There is no need for you to cry, truly."

            "Oh, but there is." She said as she knotted her hands together into her lap. Looking at them, I watched as her knuckles turned white from squeezing so hard. "Do you remember my name? Who I am to you?" I could barley hear her from the soft whisper. 

           "I..." Stopping, I went to take a moment. Was there possibly a part of me that knew this woman? Yes, absolutely. The warmth of the past was there, but it was as if laying back down in bed after you had been up for a few minutes: the warmth was faded, a whisper of what used to be. "I wish that I knew whom you were, truly I do." She nodded her head, knowing where the conversation was going. "But, perhaps you telling me will help me remember? There is no harm in trying," I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what else to say.

           "Well," I turned to look at her, "I suppose that you are right. You may not remember, but at least I can remember for the both of us. And, perhaps the memories shall return over time. I shall pray for that," reaching out, we took each other's hands. "My name is Eira, I am your Hand Maiden. We have been the best of friends for years, so much so that there is not much that we do not know of one another."

          I found a burn behind my eyes, indicating that I was starting to tear up. And as quickly as the burn started, my vision started to waver, blurring with the tears. Eira, too, started to tear up, clasping my hands tightly.

        "I'm so very glad to meet you, Eira." I whispered, wishing now more than ever to have those precious memories once again. Without thinking on either part, I found myself having embraced her, as well as feeling the embracement returned. 

        And for the first time since I had woken up, I found myself feeling hope.

_______

           "From what I have heard, and from the whispers in the walls, a discussion to give you a routine similar to what you once had at the beginning of your reign. The court, as well as the King, are in high hopes of it allowing some form of a memory to come back. If nothing does," Eira took a breath, helping me into the gown that I would wear for the day. "Well, then you shall have to start from the very beginning. As much as you were questioned yesterday, it shall be nothing compared to what the day shall hold."