Chapter One

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~

        I stirred to the sound of wind rustling the leaves in trees and bushes, as well as the sound of birds chirping.

         Light, warm and bright, filled the air around me. Slowly, opening my eyes, I found that the source was above me high in the sky. Unable to look directly at it, I found myself raising up, only to feel a pain move through my body. The rock under my hands was cold, slightly dampened with cool droplets of water. I had been sleeping in a puddle, inside a cave.

        Taking a deep breath in, the pain seemed to resonate in my neck. Stiff, very stiff. Perhaps moving at a slow pace was not the brightest of ideas. Gathering the strength, and taking a breath, I moved my body up to where I was sitting and looking around me. The puddle seemed to be more of a shallow pond, dipping down into the ground the further down the cave it went. A faint sound of water falling caught my ears.

       At the sudden realization of water, my mouth became dry, my throat closing slightly. Parched, I was parched. Raising up more, I found the pain once again not only in my neck, but in my back as well. Who would have thought that stone would be so unforgiving. With creaks and cracks coming from my body, I found the strength and determination to stand on aching legs. Truly I should not be this tender from a simple sleep.

        How long have I been sleeping? And where, just where, am I?

       Taking cautious steps to the side of the cave, I reached my hand out to hold my weight against the wall. The puddle of water covered my toes and sloshed around, making a soothing sound to go along with the birds chirping. How lovely. Wadding forward, keeping my balance, I moved forward into the throat of the cave.

         Sleep had long gone from my mind, but my legs seemed to think otherwise. Tingles and pins covered my feet and legs as I slowly moved down, the light fading as I tried to find deeper water. Slowly the ground started to shift downwards, allowing the water to pool deep enough for me to be able to drink. Licking my lips, I lowered myself down, bending protesting knees. The water was cool and refreshing, seeming to allow my body to wake and loosen from the tightness that had resonated into my bones.

         Each handful seemed to give me strength, as well as worry. But I drank with a might that I did not know I possessed. How had I ended up here? And where exactly is... here? Why is my body protesting the slightest of moves? 

          I drank until my stomach was full, causing a slosh to form from my belly at the slightest of movements. Looking at my hands, I sighed as I saw the bruises, dirt, and dried blood. What ever had happened? Had I caused someone pain?

          Dipping my hands in once more, I made work to remove the blood and dirt. I washed until only the bruises were left, leaving the water murky and tinted red. Drying my hands on the torn pieces of cloth that tried to cover my body, I turned my head towards the mouth of the cave.

         Birds, wind, light. All were waiting for me. Yet there was a sense of dread deeply set into my bones. Answers were needed, and questions still seemed to move forwards into my mind. If I did not leave this cave, I would never know what had happened. If I did not leave, I would be alone and cold. But, if I did leave, perhaps I would find answers, and find myself-

        A deep growl filled the space of the cave. There was a new pain, a pain that sat deep in my belly, crawling up and latching onto my tongue. Food. I wanted food.

         If I left the cave, perhaps I could find food. Yes, food will motivate me to move forward just as the water had caused me to stand. Another growl filled the air and the pain returned, more fierce this time. Once again, I stood and found the pain in my bones to be, not only discouraging, but worrisome. Had sleeping on the cave floor truly caused this? Had it also caused the dried blood on my hands? So many questions, and so much more that I hadn't thought of yet.