Chapter Two

A knock at the door stirred me from a restful slumber.

        Raising up in bed, I felt the pain from the previous day melt away, leaving me with nothing but the dull ache of a wound that was healing. I looked down at my hands, moving them to see all angles, the bruising almost diminished. The few scraps that had been scattered across my arms had also started the flake away, leaving only faint lines as they faded away. Taking a breath, stretching my legs, and cracking my toes, I found myself wondering why I had suddenly been woke from such a wonderful sleep. And, it was such a wonderful dream, too.

         Such beautiful golden eyes.

         Another knock came onto the large door coming into my chamber. Turning my head to the side, I reached for a robe that had been placed on the chair. Quickly covering myself with the robe and moving the covers and quilt to give myself some extra coverage. Besides, it would be a waste to allow the warmth to leave.

          Clearing my voice, I called out to whomever it was. "Enter." 

          The door opened slowly, a young woman coming in. I watched as her head came into view, a nervous look on her face, eyes heavy with worry. Sinking down into the pillow slightly, I watched as the woman stepped forward. Hair the color of sunshine ran down her back in elegant waves, like that of the wind, with pale skin covered in freckles to complement her. The woman stood tall, a thin figure covered in a modest gown the color of a sapphire which reached the ground.

           As she looked at me with cautious eyes, her smile grew a little, only to see tears start to cause her eyes to glisten in the soft light of the morning. 

          "It truly-," she stopped suddenly, her voice hitching as tears seemed to control her words. Placing a hand over her mouth, the woman took a shuddering breath. "It truly is you, Your Highness. Oh Amira," her sobs started to fill the space and I found myself obligated to go towards her and comfort her. "I was s-so worried."

            Moving the covers off of my body, I wrapped the robe around my nakedness, keeping me decent before her. Walking towards the woman, who was sobbing softly to herself, I could see that she had brought in a box of wood for the fire. Who was this woman? 

           Being cautious, I reached out and placed a hand on her lower arm, shocking her. With large black eyes, she looked at me as another tear ran down her cheek, flowing down the stream that others had laid out for it. I found myself smiling, wishing I could giver her comfort in some fashion or another.

          "Please, tell me why you are crying?" I asked softly, bringing her towards the couch by the fire, wanting her to sit and keep warm. Her body shook as if the wind was blowing around falling leaves. She sat as her tears started to cry up, her hand going to remove the wetness from her cheeks. 

        Taking a breath, she shook her head as she looked at me, only to place her hand on top of mine. I smiled at her, hoping to give some comfort. It must have done something, for my hand was given a small squeeze in return.

           "I was informed that you have no memories?" she asked. "Is that even possible?" Her voice was so low, so delicate, it was as if a single breeze could snap her into two. "So many years, all just," she paused, waving her hand around, "vanished. I simply cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through."

           "I am... managing as best as I believe that I am able to in this moment." She nodded, looking at me, tears threatening to spill once again. "I do remember that of my name. But, perhaps that is because that is what everyone has called me?"