Chapter 6 - Departure

Start from the beginning

She couldn't help but smile at the warm reunion, at the kisses the older fairy showered on the younger one's head, at the brightness in his eyes. The child had almost destroyed Lyrani's favourite food, but it was impossible to be mad at him.

With a chance glance to her right, Lyrani caught a flash of auburn hair.

Trelle raised a well-manicured hand in greeting from where she sat under the decorative striped awning of a café. Lyrani didn't need to read the sign to know that it read "Carpe Diem".

The corner of her mouth lifted.

The café could not be more aptly named. Seizing the day was something ECISI agents were particularly skilled at and something Lyrani and Trelle needed to be ready to do for this mission.

As Lyrani approached, a gentle warmth and the familiar sweet, delicious scents of baked goods and various teas greeted her.

She had made a habit of getting something at Carpe Diem, even if it was only a muffin, before she left for a mission. Even though this ritual that she believed brought her luck was something she had borrowed from Trelle during their first mission together, she couldn't deny that she needed any good fortune she could get.

Especially for this assignment.

"Lyrani, it's good to see you. Have a seat." The other agent removed her handbag from the chair beside her to make space for Lyrani.

Lyrani set her pancake box on the table and put her trunk down beside her chair.

Trelle's garment bag lay on a third chair, where it sat at the table like another person. It was even bulkier than Lyrani's, which she never imagined would be possible. Omiane must've pulled out all the stops for Trelle's dresses, perhaps even the one she was wearing right now.

It was the green of leaves, a lovely colour against her pale skin. It could even be made from leaves, Lyrani realised upon closer inspection, noting the way the fabric fell over the other agent's chest.

Smoothing over her rough-spun skirt, she felt the most ridiculous in her clothes she had felt all evening. Next to Trelle, who looked like a sculpture of an elegant lady come to life, Lyrani must look like a living mannequin for a child with fabric to waste and a lot of imagination.

"My friend offered to redesign House Lore's livery." Lyrani slid Dessie's card out of her pocket.

Trelle raised an eyebrow as she took it. "'Dessie Rask," she read, rolling the name in her mouth. "Apprentice seamstress, Omiane's Boutique." Her eyes brightened in recognition. "Jacden's fiancée, right?"

"Yes." It was Lyrani's turn to raise her eyebrows.

Jacden had talked about Dessie nonstop during missions, but that was years ago. Lyrani was surprised Trelle still remembered.

The other agent tilted her head, eyes distant with contemplation. "I might just take her up on her offer. The livery has been the same for generations. I guess it could use some freshening up."

Lyrani blinked in surprise. Had she heard correctly?

The Trelle she knew wouldn't listen to her ideas, let alone agree to any of them.

Perhaps Dessie was right, and the other agent was more open to changing than Lyrani had given her credit for. Perhaps this mission wasn't doomed to be a failure like their previous one had been.

"How are you feeling, Lyrani?" Trelle rearranged the fur stole she wore over her shoulders. She took a sip from the steaming cup cradled in her hands.

"Fine, I guess. How about you?"