XXIV. love over all

Start from the beginning

Sitting up as quickly as possible, Seraphina knew something's amiss. She has never seen her aunt quite like this for months.

Aunt Veronica looked as if she's on the verge of tears any second now but tried very hard to suppress it.

Before she could ask her aunt what's wrong, her question was immediately answered, "It's about Zachary, my dear,"

At the mention of his name, Seraphina's heart raced, her fingers clutching the white covers, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

"Wha-what about him?" She asked dryly.

Her aunt paced around the chamber, her footfalls loud, obviously a sign of panic, "He has been arrested and is set for trial for murdering a man last night,"

If Seraphina's holding a glass, it would surely be shattered right now.

All this time, Zachary is in Avebury? Why hadn't he shown himself?

Then, Seraphina realized her grave mistake, she vividly remembered telling him to leave her alone. If only she could turn back time.

Seraphina rapidly rose from the bed, "We need to see him right now, Aunt Veronica, he-he might be starving now o-or is cold, we must bring him a blanket, Aunt, and water, an-"

Aunt Veronica stopped the ramblings of her niece by saying, "the carriage is already prepared, dear, come on,"

All while her aunt gave her unreadable sideways glances, Seraphina raced towards the carriage, nearly tripping over objects she didn't bother looking at.

Thankfully, the staff seems to know what to prepare since a jar of water, three thick blankets, and a packed meal of their supposed supper later were already in the carriage.

Less than a minute later, Aunt Veronica joined her niece in the carriage. As soon as the door was closed, the carriage now raced off to Avebury's jail where Zachary is detained.

They're already kilometers away from the Hearts manor when they realize what Seraphina is wearing, or more likely, not wearing.

For starters, she's wearing a gray day gown which her aunt decided to tolerate but she is not wearing gloves, a hat to cover her face, and even shoes? That's beyond unacceptable.

Seraphina knew her aunt wouldn't allow her to see Zachary in that state. Anyone in the jail could notice her, and the next thing she knows, she's the talk of the town.

Visiting Avebury's jail all dressed up like a complete prostitute.

Before Aunt Veronica has the chance to stop her niece, Seraphina promptly pleaded, "Please, Aunt, I just need to see him,"

There was a long pause after that. The two of them merely exchanged gazes. Seraphina prayed her aunt would allow her, thus, not ask her a question regarding her strong urge to see her godson whom she showed such strong dislike over the years.

Seraphina was about to say more when there, Aunt Veronica released a long exhale, "Fine but don't come crying in my arms if your reputation is completely ruined by the time you left that godforsaken place,"

All Seraphina could ever do is wrap her arms around her aunt, murmuring thank-yous for numerous times before her aunt was forced to untangle herself from her overly grateful niece.

"About that state of yours, go ahead and take my shoes and my veil,"

Raising her brow in confusion, " what about you?"

"I'll just see that punk of a godson of mine some other time. Just make sure to bring these supplies to him,"

It was the first time she heard her aunt curse. Let alone used one to refer to her favorite godson.