Chapter 8

Caoimhe

"You said her name was Lily!" Kitty yelled.

Even though the small ordeal with Leprii happened over a week ago, Caoimhe was still getting reprimanded for it. Which, to her at least, seemed hypocritical as Kitty seemed to have a thing for Lance. But everyone seemed to forget about that.

"I said I wasn't sure!" Caoimhe defended. "She never told me what her name was and I thought I heard someone call her that."

"How come you didn't tell us she was a mutant?" Kurt asked, his arms crossed over his body.

"She wasn't happy when I found out about her powers so I didn't say anything. I didn't know, okay?" Why was everyone so concerned with the whole thing?

"Caoimhe, may I speak to you in my office?" The Professor asked, rolling into the room. The young mutant followed the Professor into his office, ignoring the glares from everyone, and sat down across from him. "Do you understand why everyone is concerned?"

"Somewhat," she replied. "I get that these Brotherhood people are your 'enemies', but when everyone was telling me about them they made them out to be some kind of Fomóiri. But they seemed to be nice."

"Yes, some of the students tend to... exaggerate... on such details," the Professor said while shaking his head. "The Brotherhood is simply another group of mutants here in Bayville that choose to use their powers recklessly."

"I still don't understand why everyone was freaking out over me sitting with them for a few minutes," Caoimhe said. "Was there a rule I'm not aware of or something?"

The Professor smiled and shook his head. "While we do not have an "official" rule against it, the members of the Brotherhood tend to have questionable behavior and records. They're not the kind of people you would like to associate with." Caoimhe's face fell as she processed this. "However," the Professor added, and Caoimhe looked up. "You are free to make your own decisions, which I cannot control."

Caoimhe nodded. "Thank you, Professor."

~~~

Caoimhe sat in the chemistry classroom, shaking her head at Evan as he put tacks into an eraser instead of paying attention.

"Chemistry is the study of matter," the chemistry teacher, Mr. McCoy said, "and the change matter undergoes. To illustrate, turn to page 40." Caoimhe opened her book and skimmed the pages. She found chemistry interesting, but her mind kept going back to the conversation she had the other night with the Professor.

She knew that since Leprii was a member of the Brotherhood she wasn't supposed to associate with her, but Caoimhe couldn't keep her mind off of the girl. While Leprii came off as a bit rude, Caoimhe swears she could see through it the other day, even if it was only for a few seconds.

Kurt whisper-yelling at Evan pulled Caoimhe out of her head and she looked over at her two fellow mutants. She saw the eraser that Evan was playing with earlier on the floor next to Kurt.

"Pay attention!" Kurt said as he rubbed his shoulder, which, Caoimhe assumed, was where Evan shot the eraser at. "This is interesting!"

"Yeah, riveting," Evan replied as he laid his head down on the lab table. Caoimhe shook her head and looked back up to the front desk.