Jesse's Words (Chapter 2)

Jesse's Words

      The loud buzz of the alarm rang through my ears. I moaned and rolled over. It was a good thing I didn't drink too much last night. Or I would've had an awful hang over and I would be feeling like shit right now. I sat up, stretched, and went to the kitchen. I put some toast in the toaster and poured myself a glass of milk. I sipped on my milk as last night replayed in my mind. It all seemed like such a blur, yet it definitely felt real. My toast popped up, making me jump. I quickly ate, then gulped down the rest of my milk. I returned back to my room. I went into the bathroom and plugged in my hair straightener. As I was picking out what to wear for the day, my phone started to buzz. I picked it up and opened it. A text from Haley. Kasey's best friend. I didn't even want to read it. I threw my phone back on the bed and walked over to my closet. I pulled out a pair of my dark blue skinny jeans and a white t-shirt. I figured it would be a bit chilly outside, so over my t-shirt I put on my blue DCs hoodie. I threw on my favorite pair of DCs, to go with the hoodie. After making sure I looked decent, I quickly straightened my black hair. I brushed through it, shook it around. There. Perfect. To finish up, I brushed my teeth, and sprayed myself with my favorite kind of Axe. Then I put my phone in my pocket, grabbed my keys, threw my back pack over my shoulder, and was out the front door, headed off to school.

      I got in my car and headed to school. As I pulled into the parking lot, it hit me. I had left Jesse's shirt. I looked at the time. 6:49. School started at 7. It took me 10 minutes at the most to go to my locker, then my first period. I wouldn't have time to go back home. Oh well. I'm sure Jesse would understand. I'll just give it to him tomorrow. As I was walking to the school building, I saw Kasey pull up with her friends. She looked happy. She was smiling and laughing. I wondered if I should wait for her. I decided against it. She will talk to me when she wants to talk to me. Time seemed to go by painfully slow as I walked to my locker. I was halfway to first period when I saw a head of hair that was just about impossible to miss. A smile automatically appeared on my face. Jesse. I tried to act like I didn't see him as I walked past him. "Hey!" he shouted at me. My heart jumped, and it almost skipped a beat. I tried to hide my smile as I turned around. "Hey! Listen, I completely forgot about your shirt, and I left it at home. But I'll bring it--" "Nah man. It's not a big deal. Just keep it. One loss of a shirt won't kill me." Right then, I could've sworn he winked at me. "Oh, thanks." I smiled at him, then quickly stopped, and looked down, hoping not to make things too awkward. When I looked back up, his eyes were looking at me. Our eyes met. And strangely enough, it felt...right. Looking into his eyes, I could see all of those secrets of his, coming out. Ready to be told. But not to just anybody. To me. They wanted me. And nobody else. "By the way," he began. Our connection ended. "My name's Jesse." He held out his hand. "Cade." I took his hand. Immediately, another connection. I didn't want to let go. We shook for a few seconds, then let go. I could tell there was something he wanted to say to me, but didn't. I felt like I should've said something too. But maybe all of this was in my imagination. Maybe we had no connection. Maybe I was just crazy, and this was just another part of my weird behavior. So much thought happened in so little seconds. Jesse patted my arm. "Well, I better go to class. Catch you later." As he walked away, everything immediately seemed dimmer, like he brightened up the room. I could feel my heart drop and melt. Man! What was up with me? I shook off all my emotions and continued to class, coming in the door just as the bell rang.

      The school day passed. I didn't see Jesse at all. I was starting to think I wasn't going to see him anymore, and that was all just a one time thing. I was at my car, leaning against the trunk. I always liked to hang out a little while after school. And just people watch. I was completely zoned out. My mind had drifted somewhere else. When he walked up next to me, I hadn't even realized he was there. It was when he leaned against the trunk next to me, and our hands slightly brushed against each other when my mind came back down into earth. It was like a snap back into reality. I jumped. "Hey jumpy," he said laughing at me. I laughed and tried to keep my heart rate down. "Haha heyy..What are you doing here? School's been out for like..30 minutes." I looked at my phone to check the time. "Make that 40." He shrugged. "I should ask you the same thing." I smiled. "Touche. As a matter of fact, I'm always at school this late. I don't really know why, but I like to people watch. Just sit back, and watch people come and go, watch the parking lot empty. And it gives me time to just really think about everything." Jesse looked over at me. He actually looked interested. He gave me a meaningful look. "That actually, sounds pretty awesome. Well, to answer your question, I'm here because my car completely broke down. I have no way of getting home, and I live kinda far out. I can't walk home, and my parents are at work and can't come and get me." This was perfect. What are the odds that this happened? Fate seemed to be smiling at me now. I looked at him. "Seems like you're in a bit of a sticky situation there.." He shrugged. "I guess. Unless, by any chance, you would want to help me out?" I made a silly face and stroked my chin. "Hmmm...I'll have to check my schedule. You know, I'm a busy man." Jesse laughed. "I bet you are." "I guess I could find time in my busy schedule to give you a ride. But you'd owe me." I could not believe this was happening. I was right here, next to Jesse, having a silly, but real conversation with him. I could tell things would only get better from here. "Thank you! That would really be helpful. Now, what would I owe you?" My heart skipped a beat again. He seemed to make that happen a lot. I had unexplainable feelings for him. Kind of like, what I used to feel for Kasey, but better. Stronger. So much better and stronger. I realized that I was extremely attracted to Jesse. "I guess we'll see when the time comes," I said after pretending to think about it for a while. He would never like me. I wasn't even sure if I was actually gay, but there was no way he was. "Alright, well, shall we go?" I asked him. "Indeed we shall!" he replied in a deep, sophisticated voice. We both laughed and got into my car.

      Jesse directed me all the way to his house. It was about a 20 minute drive. I remembered it from the party. We talked and got to know each other. We learned a lot about each other in that 20 minutes. It seemed like it took was going to last forever, until he said the words, "Okay, here's my house". It killed me. I didn't want it to be over. I stopped the car. He reached for the handle on the door, then stopped. He looked at me, and locked eyes with mine. The same connection flickered on. Everything else just disappeared. It was just me and him. Us two guys. Nothing suspicious on the outside. "I..have a confession," he said, turning towards me. Ohh myyy. My heart rate sped up. I didn't want to wait. I wanted to just kiss him already. And grab his hand and hold him in my arms.

Then reality hit me again. That wouldn't happen. I wanted to hear what he had to say. That is all that matters right now. Jesse's words. "What?" He took a deep breath. "My car didn't really break down. Actually, I don't even have a car. I carpool with my friend every day. I noticed that you usually stay after school pretty late, so when I saw you were still there today, I told him to go ahead and leave without me. I wanted to talk to you, and kind of get to know you more. When we met at that party, I just...I felt something that I couldn't ignore. And my heart told me to go for it. You can't ignore what your heart tells you, you know? So..here I am. In the car, with you, the guy my heart told me to go for." He just kept looking at me with those eyes. Those mesmorizing hazel eyes. And then he smiled at me. With that breath taking smile. I smiled back, more big than I think I ever have. "You have no idea what that means. The same thing happened to me. Except a little different. I even broke up with my girlfriend. But if I hadn't, I don't think we'd be where we are now. I think I just might really, really like you..." He smiled at me, looked down, reached for my hand, and grabbed it. "My parents won't be home until about 7. How would you like to come inside?" Our fingers intertwined. I forgot how to speak. My heart had completely melted. I wasn't myself anymore, no. I was someone way different. My weird behavior was all because I was changing. My heart was waiting for the perfect person to fully discover who I was. Now I knew. I was gay. I managed to get out a few words, and paired them with the permanent smile on my face. "I'd love to."

*************************************************************************************************************

p.s. again. The one on the left is Cade, the one in the middle is Kasey, and the one on the right is Jesse.