Chapter 1 *editing*

Start from the beginning

"We appreciate you checking in. We were just gonna cook up some supper if you wanted to join us."

I hesitated before replying, "Sure, I could eat."

"I'm Shane, this is Dale. That sweet box of sunshine you met back there was Daryl. Rick, and that's Glenn."

"I'm Quinn."

I stepped in tow with Shane as they led me back to their camp.

"We came from the highway. When we realized the military was bombing the city and we were basically on our own we broke off and set up our own camp. Took a few nice folks with us, gained a few others here and there."

"I'm surprised this is my first time running into you all. I've been lurking in this area of woods for the last week or so. It's been a good place away from the dead and lots of food around. I'm originally from just outside the city, but was in the city during the bombings. So that was fun."

We came to a break in the woods where their camp was stationed. There was an RV on the edge with someone up top keeping watch. In front of that was a bright red Charger with the hood popped and a green Jeep. There were chairs scattered around and a long line with clothes drying on it. There was a tent with a picnic table underneath it and a fire pit with stacks of wood around.

"Hey Merle, get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel!" Daryl yelled. "Merle! Let's stew 'em up."

"I'm sorry you're gonna have to witness another Daryl outbreak," Shane said lowly to me. "Daryl, just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you."

"'Bout what?"

"About Merle," Shane replied. He ran a hand through his hair before continuing. "There was a problem in Atlanta."

Everyone had gathered around, forming a circle around Daryl and Shane.

"He dead?" Daryl asked.

"We're not sure," Shane answered.

"He either is or he ain't," Daryl snapped.

"No easy way to say this, so I'll just say it—"

"Who are you?" Dary demmanded.

"Rick Grimes," he answered.

Daryl was becoming agitated. "Rick Grimes, you got somethin' you wanna tell me?"

"Your brother was a danger to us all, so I handcuffed him on a roof, hooked him to a piece of metal. He's still there," Rick confessed.

Daryl looked towards the ground and shifted his weight from side to side. "Hold on, let me process this. You're saying you handcuffed my brother to a roof, and you left him there?" he shouted angrily.

Rick looked down. "Yeah."

Daryl threw the squirrels at Rick and lunged at him. Shane jumped in front and pushed him to the ground. Daryl scooted away from Shane and grabbed a knife from his pocket.

"Watch the knife!"

He got up and jumped towards Rick. Shane grabbed his arms and pulled them behind his back, forcing him to drop the weapon. He then wrapped his arms around Daryl's neck, bringing him right to the ground.

"Choke hold's illegal," he said, trying to get Shane's arms off.

"File a complaint," Shane replied.

"I would like to have a calm discussion on this topic. Do you think we could manage that?" Rick asked, squatting down to eyelevel with Daryl. "Do you think we can manage that?"

Daryl would not answer. Finally Shane let him go.

Rick sighed. "What I did was not on a whim. Your brother does not work or play well with others."