19.

R O M E S S A.
Rumour Has It...

@romessa: Mondays

@romessa: Mondays...
likes: 357,628 • liked by @cathyhummels, @belladltorre
comments: 37,207
@marcinho11: Is your hair short or long? 🤔
@romessa: @marcinho11 shut up!! it's whatever I want it to be 😇

"I'm sorry, Romessa. I have no say in this." William stared at his girlfriend with a handsome yet stoic expression, watching as she read the piece of paper before her. DECLARATION OF SUSPENSION, read the words, causing Romessa's heartbeat to freeze the moment she saw them. Her own boyfriend had called her into his office to tell her that effective immediately, Athleta was on what was considered to be a period of "indefinite suspension"—in other words, the Bundesliga had lost faith in her program, and would no longer fund it.

"Why?" Romessa finally spoke, gazing up at William—who was, technically, her boss. He'd been sworn into his position as Bundesliga CEO two weeks ago—as such, he and Romessa had been living separately, visiting one another on weekends, sometimes making special trips by jet if he had the time to see her for dinner or if they had an event to make an appearance at. It was overwhelming, to say the least—if you'd told the Moroccan years ago that she'd one day live a life in which she drove around in a matte black Tesla and wore outfits that costed more than her college tuition, she would've laughed in your face. It'd be a lie for her to say she didn't enjoy the lifestyle William's new position provided her more often than not, but it came with a remarkably large price—which was that of being untrue to herself; that of being his practical property.

Deep down, she still felt the desire to provide her own; to not be so dependent upon her now multi-millionaire boyfriend for good publicity and luxurious housing and everything in between. Despite her intelligence and high-caliber education, the media still labeled her as a gold digger, and she was determined to prove them wrong. This was why she was still working as hard on Athleta as she'd been in the beginning, when she was a teenager who'd spend all her days coding in the confines of her dark bedroom. More importantly, however, it was why the words on the paper in front of her made absolutely no sense. There may've been tiny flaws in her program, but even the biggest technology corporations—Google, Apple, and everyone in between—had those. Her name may've been controversial, but the phenomenal efficiency of Athleta was not: it was the only program of its kind, undoubtedly contributing to Borussia Dortmund's incredible success this season. So why on earth was it being suspended?

"Your main goal this season was to help Marco Reus improve," declared William. "Last week, he injured himself." Romessa couldn't help but notice the way William's face twitched when he said Marco's name; the way his frown deepened and his eyes darkened with disdain. Romessa had posted a photo two hours ago that Marco left an ambiguous comment on—everyone knew that Marco Reus didn't even comment on his own wife's photos.