Chapter 29: Yeah, But You're My Idiot

Start from the beginning

          “Seriously, and even if I did want him, the chances of it happening would be slim to none. He hates me ya know, you’re the one he loves. You know, after you two broke up, I overheard him and Jansen talking. Jansen was trying to throw a party to cheer him up, ya know, call in the ‘hoes’ but Ryder didn’t want to. He said that he couldn’t be with someone else, not right now.”

I nod awkwardly, “Yeah, I was fully aware of how Ryder felt about us breaking up.”

          “But you still did it.”

          “Okay, seriously. Do you think I don’t feel bad about it? Because I do, but I’m not gonna talk about it with you.”

          “Okay, okay.” She says, putting her hands up in surrender.

          “Just…call me or something when you leave. I’m going down to the cafeteria.”

With that, I walk out of the room, going down the corridor with my hands shoved down in my jean pockets. I walk slowly down the stairs, and down to the ground floor which is where the cafeteria is located. I guess I should get some lunch, I’m actually pretty hungry. When I arrive at the cafeteria, I’m not surprised to see that it’s nearly full, as it always is.

I walk around, looking down in the displays, searching for something appealing to me. I decide to just pick up the salad in a bowl and grab it. Then I walk over to the drink machine and take out a bottle of water. I join the line of people standing in the checkout and look around tiredly.

I drag my feet forward, stepping up as one of the many people in front of me pays for their food and leaves. When I finally make it to the register, the tall guy, who looks to be around Ryder’s age or maybe 20, scans my stuff. “$23.03.” He says, taking a paper bag off the rack to bag my stuff.

          “What?” I retort, looking at him confused.

          “$23.03.” He repeats.

          “It’s a salad and some water though, why is it so high?”

The guy laughs, a hearty laugh at that, and says, “Nah, I’m just playing with you. It’s $8.35. But you look like you’ve having a debauched day so I’ll only charge you half. $4.17.”

          “I don’t know what debauched means, but thanks anyway.” I mutter, pulling a few crinkled up dollar bills out of my back pocket. Some lady bumps into me, causing me to drop my things to the floor. I sigh; dropping to my knees, picking the stuff up, and glad there’s no one behind me. I collect my stuff and then stand up, giving the blond boy a five dollar bill. He puts it in the register and gives me back my change. I take it and the bag and walk off to an empty table to eat my lunch and give Mollie some time so I don’t have to run into her.

I sit down at the empty table and scoot my chair up. Then I grab a fork from the basket and some packets of ranch. I tear the ranch open, and before it registers in my brain what’s going on, the ranch sputters all over my red t-shirt. I groan and swear under my breath, dropping it on the table and grabbing a couple of handfuls of napkins. I furiously rub the white ranch, trying to absorb it in the napkins, when I hear someone clearing their throat. I look up and see Jansen standing there.

          “You do you that you’re only making it worse, right?”

          “Hi Jansen, and yeah I get that now.” I reply, looking back down at my shirt.