Chapter 7: At Least You Didn't Get Drunk

“So how was your first day of work?” Ryder asks as he maneuvers down the highway.

          “It was good.” I tell him. “I got invited to a party.”

Ryder looks at me, “Yeah?” I nod, “Yup.”

          “You gonna go?”

          “I told him I would come.”

          “Where is it?”

          “It’s at the beach.” I tell him. “How was the hospital visit?”

          “It was okay as usual.”

          “I want you to take me there someday.” I tell him.

          “Just because I’m taking you to work; doesn’t mean I like you.”

          “You know you love me Ryder.” I say teasingly.

Ryder rolls his eyes, “Yeah sure.”

Soon after that, we arrive back in Vernon at the O’Connor house. Ryder parks the car, and turns the engine off, getting out. He unlocks the front door and we both go in. I go up the stairs, and up to my room, closing the door behind me. I plop down on my bed, lying at the foot of it. I kick my flip flops off and turn the TV on. Suddenly my door opens and Will walks in, jumping beside me on my bed.

          “Hey Bryant.”

          “Hey O’Connor.” I say in greeting to him.

          “Whatcha watching?” He wonders.

          “America’s Got Talent.”

          “Why?”

          “Why what?”

          “Why are you watching this show?”

          “Because it’s funny; and some of the people actually have talent.” I tell him.

          “Right, sure they do.” Will agrees, “First day of work. How was it?”

          “It was okay actually. I’m going to a party later.”

          “Party?”

          “Some guy named Matt invited me.”

          “You have fun at that.”

          “Don’t you wanna come?” I ask him.

          “Nah; I’m good. Parties aren’t really my scene.”

          “But I don’t wanna go alone.” I tell him.

          “Hailey. She loves parties; she’ll go with you.”

          “Are you trying to be funny?” I ask him.

          “How am I doing?” He says with a smile.

          “Horribly.”

Will’s phone rings shortly thereafter and he leaves my room proclaiming he’s gotta go. So I lie in my bed watching as people put it all on the line in America’s Got Talent. A few hours later; around 4:00 I grow tired of the show. I pick up the remote; and flip through the channels; looking for something else to watch. I land on Child’s Play. I watched this movie so many times as a child. I know with it being Rated R I probably shouldn’t have, and my dad-before he died-then later Phil and my mother warned me not to watch it. But I think it’s a really good movie. Not evens scary. It’s already an hour into the movie, but I still find myself watching it.