Chapter 2: Have You Always Been This Much of a Pervert?

I hurriedly put my shorts and shirt on and gather up my clothes. I look down and see a hairbrush and almost pick it up to brush my hair. Then I figure it’s probably Hailey’s, and who knows what that creature has in her hair. I grab my stuff, and quickly leave the bathroom. Fortunately on the short run back to my room, I don’t run into any of the O’Connor’s. I close my door behind me slowly, and put my clothes in the hamper. I plop down on my bed, and grab my cell phone off the charger. I unlock it and see it’s already 3:50. I find it very hard to believe I was in the shower that long. I wonder why Jacob’s already here. There’s one high school in Vernon, and the O’Connor’s don’t attend it. They go to some public school in L.A. Granted; I think their school gets out at 3:30. So that would leave them enough time to get home by now. I go to my contacts, and let my finger hover over Mason’s name before I hit it.

          “Hey Mick.” Mason says, answering on the first ring.

          “Hi Mase.” I reply.

See Mason and I have a pretty good friendship for a brother and a sister. It could be due to the age gap we possess. Mason is twenty one, and I’m seventeen. Growing up we were best friends, I mean we had other friends, but still.

          “How are ya?” He asks me, and I hear a male voice in his background. It must be Tanner, Mason’s college roommate.

          “I’ve been better. What about you?”

          “I’m just moving the last things out of my dorm. What do you mean? What’s wrong?” He asks.

          “Did mom and Phil tell you what they did to me?

          “What they did to you?” He repeats, “Um no.”

          “They sent me to Vernon!”

          “Vernon as in Vernon, California where the O’Connor’s live?” He asks.

          “Yup, that’s the one. I’ve only been here for about three hours and I already want to go back home.”

          “Wait, but why?” He asks.

          “Because I hate it here!” I tell him.

          “No Mick, why did they send you there?” He asks.

          “Ohhh! Because you know how they’re going to Brazil?” I ask, waiting for his response.

          “Yeah.”

          “Well I didn’t wanna go with them, and ya know be a third wheel. So I kinda decided I’d just stay at home, but then mom’s all like, ‘No, you aren’t mature enough to stay home alone for three months.’” I tell him.

          “What? That’s crazy. You’re seventeen years old. You’re plenty mature.” Mason says.

          “I know! That’s what I said!”

          “That’s insane Mick. But hey maybe it won’t be so bad.”

          “It’s raining Mase. That’s like a bad omen!”

He chuckles, “You’ll be okay. So have you run into any of the O’Connor’s yet?”

          “I did actually. Just a few minutes ago when I was in the bathroom. Jacob freaking walked in while I was getting dressed.”