KaeMiu Coffee Shop Au

Miu usually hated working at her local coffee shop, the entire world seemed to always come to a halt.

When she applied to work there a year ago, she thought it would be a lot of fun! It would be a good way to make a little bit of extra funds while trying to pitch her inventions, but instead this small gig of hers started occupying her entire life.

She was constantly bombarded by messages from her co-workers asking to cover their shifts. The customers weren't the best either. She was used to random dudes hitting on her all the time, she knew she was gorgeous and didn't hide it, but she had to draw the line when her boss pulled her aside one day to tell her to stop denying some of the regular's advances because it 'was disrespectful'. That's when she had enough. She flipped him off expecting and hoping to get fired, but for some goddamn reason it never happened.

For months her attitude got worse and worse but they still kept her. They were basically clinging to her skirt begging her to not leave them, no wonder they were so short staffed, it was really annoying.

Today was like any other. She stood bored behind the counter, not even bothering to fake a smile by now.

She only had 15 minutes left until her shift was over. She was planning to quit afterwards and look for a different job.

As she stared up at the clock while absentmindedly making coffee a soft melody started playing. The coffee shop was usually submerged in silence, saved for the quiet hum of people talking amongst themselves.

The radio broke 4 months ago after Miu got a customer's order wrong twice and threw the unwanted coffee at it. After that the only form of music ever in the shop came from the piano lessons that happened next door.

Everyday someone would play the piano near the end of her shift and she would sing along if she knew the songs.

Once she was singing along to a song and hit a high note when suddenly, the piano stopped and she heard a feminine giggle from the wall, followed by applause probably from the same person.

She recognised the song playing through the thin wall, it was from an old movie she had recently watched. She started silently swaying along to the tune, singing along at parts she remembered.

She ignored the stares coming her way, it was her last day, she wasn't going to be around for the consciences. She grimaced as someone came strolling in loudly talking to himself. "Heyyyy pumpkin." He shot her some finger guns and a wink.

He was one of the regulars and as per usual he came in drunk. She scowled as she rolled her eyes. She was slowly falling into bad mood as the music stopped.

"What the hell do you want." She snapped. He came in everyday asking for the same thing so there was no reason for the question.

The guy licked his lips then blinked once, twice, then rested his elbow on the counter. He laughed under his breathe a bit then did more finger guns "Your number." He made a pow with the finger guns and kept laughing. He seemed unaware of Miu's scowl until he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Sir?" He turned around blocking Miu from seeing who the voice belonged to.

She slowly peeked around the man to see a cute blonde girl, around the same height as her with a passive aggressive smile on her face. "Is that your car sitting out there?" she continued, "The dirty blue one, scratch on the passenger window that's about 5cms big? Yeah well... I think it's getting towed." The man started panicking and ran out quickly, without saying goodbye.

Miu nearly dissolved into a puddle. "Oh, my goodness thanks you so much!" she gasped. "I was getting so uncomfortable, I thought he was never going to leave." The girls smile softened as she laid eyes on Miu.

"It was nothing! Girls protecting girls you know? I'm Kaede! I'm a student teacher. I teach piano part time next door." She reminded Miu of the girl next door, her voice was soft but projected.

"I'm Miu!" she blurted out awkwardly. She didn't know where to look or what to say. "I work in this hellhole." She crossed her arms and leaned them on the table in a desperate attempt to look cool, which didn't work as there was a strange slippery liquid just lying there, causing her to slip and fall head first onto the counter. "SHIT!" she cursed rushing over to get a towel.

She felt embarrassed as she heard soft giggles coming from in front of her. She glanced up when she was finished to find Kaede pulling out her purse.

"Also, could I buy something?" Miu glanced up at the clock. Her shift was up. She silently cheered to herself, she was finally free from this torture.

She leaned over the counter and whispered in Kaede's ear "You don't want this shit. It's disgusting and overpriced." She let out a small laugh before pulling back. She ripped off her apron and scribbled a small resignation note on a napkin.

"Well you could come over to my apartment for some lunch?"

Miu quickly walked over to where she was standing, "Only if it's not too much trouble. I don't want to interrupt you!"

Kaede let out a louder giggle and grabbed her hand, "I insist!" she gave her another smile. "Oh yeah I forgot to ask! Are you the girl that always sing when I play piano? You sound a lot like her..." She cockily raised an eyebrow.

"...Oh my god was it that bad?" Miu let her normally arrogant deminer drop. She could see the panic arise on Kaede's face.

"No! I actually think it was really good! I came here to look for the person behind the voice..." She gave her a really small smirk as she lowered her head a little "I hope that's not too creepy." She laughed a bit. It was Miu's turn to start panicking.

"It's not at all! To be honest, I was actually wondering who played the piano and how the hell you put up with my pterodactyl screeching!" She laughed whole heartedly, still clutching onto Kaede's hand. Kaede tugged on her hand softly. She tucked a strand of Kaede's hair behind her ear absentmindedly, causing them both to blush softly. "So... where do you live piano girl?"