eighteen.

eighteen.

NATHAN WAS HOT

NATHAN WAS HOT. Literally. Maybe it was just the aftermath of sitting on his own blood, anxiety kicking in, but he felt like his ribs caged a fire and it burnt him inside-out.

As soon as the Director had ended the Let's Abuse Nathan show, he'd urged both Adelaide and Nathan back into their room.

Nathan couldn't stand himself right now. He felt restless, like he wanted to rip his already undressed wounds further open and die in the corner. Adelaide had told him it was just the fever, and she'd let him take off his top.

Sweat-riddled bare back against the wall, Nathan watched with shallow breaths Adelaide desperately try to dress the wounds all over again. Except they were quite a few; she looked full-on panicked, hands shaking against the bottle of disinfectant.

The entire process took seven minutes; Adelaide finally leant back, shoulders relaxing like a physicist just done experimenting. "Alright," she said, voice precariously composed. "Alright. See? It's all good. Nothing's gonna get infected."

Nathan nodded and muttered a quick thanks, then touched his collar bone to scratch but quickly cringed-they'd always been defined, but now he could feel the solid bone right under his fingertip like there was no flesh.

Only after focusing again on his surroundings did he notice that Adelaide was looking at his bare front, expression pinched. She looked queasy staring at the bruise. The dried flecks of blood. The crust. And now it pissed him off too.

With his fingertip, Nathan tried scraping dirt off his arm, but Adelaide snapped her fingers right before his face, startling him.

"Hey, hey," she said, frowning. "Careful, you don't wanna accidentally rip the gauze off doing this. I'm not about to clean and dress this stuff all over again."

Nathan's surprised expression abruptly turned sour. His brows dropped into a frown. "Didn't know it's such a burden for you," he muttered, holding eye-contact. Then he looked away. "I would've done it myself."

Suddenly, Adelaide relaxed, voice softening. "That's not what I meant." Nathan wasn't looking at her anymore but he could swear she was staring, probably apprehensive too. "Nate, are you alright? I feel like you're . . ."

"I'm okay." Nathan awkwardly arched his spine off the wall, moving around a little, trying to find a more comfortable position. "Just a little on edge."

"Just a little?"

"I'm a complete jackass. Better?"