"What are you going to do now?"

I shrugged absently. "I was going to head my boyfriend's place today after you guys were done. It's still early for me."

"Doesn't the time not changing bother you?" Mike stared at the clock. It had been ticking ever since Lou walked out.

"Not really." The glasses clinked as I placed them on the drying rack. I snickered to myself. "I'm used to slow working days."

"Ah, yes. The human concept of time seeming to crawl due to a bad day at work."

"Yes. A human concept." I picked up a towel to dry my hands off. "What is time like to you? You're both immortal, right?"

"More or less. We do still die." And angels seem to feel more strongly about death than demons. But if Lou really is the first ever formed... "Time is... nothing." Mike continued. The only thing that changes for us are the vessels we use, the others around us, the surroundings, the humans." He paused and turned his head to the side to look at me with one blue eye. "Your existence seems like a flame to me."

I raised an eyebrow and leaned forward on my elbows. "My existence or just humans in general?"

"Yours, as of now." He replied immediately. "Every human's flame burns bright at one point in their life. This might be yours. Perhaps, we've meddled enough in your life to actually extend your flame across time. You've clearly managed to impact the demon, whether it's in a positive or negative way is yet to be seen."

"Maybe it's positive." I shrugged and pulled away from the counter to pick up my bag. "I mean, he did revive an inconsequential human."

"He's always done as he pleases." Mike replied, still in the same place. His eyes were on the clock again as I rounded the bar to exit it. "This time, I was around to make sure nothing went wrong."

"If you're talking about your help in reviving me— much appreciated." How long will they dangle this over my head? "Whatever you think it is, my life's certainly changed ever since you guys entered it. So..." I walked up to Mike to patted his shoulder. "Thanks for that, I guess."

"Are you speaking in a manner that implies that you genuinely enjoy our presence?"

I smiled to myself. "No. Not at all. God forbid I enjoy the presence of my customers." I reached the door and switched off the lights in the same move. My eyes on his reflection in the glass. "See you tomorrow, Mike. Have a good rest of the day."

He didn't reply to me as I pushed the door open. When I turned around to lock the door, he was gone. Lucky bastard. I have to book a cab now. Maybe I should've asked for a lift. Lou had teleported me thrice when I'd been dying— once to my apartment, back to the bar, and then back to my still bloodied place. Great times.

I called up Trace. He picked up almost immediately. "Hey. I was just thinking about calling you."

"Hey." I smiled at hearing his voice. It made me feel happier than the angel's depressing words. What a dark chap. "I just closed up. I'll book a cab and head over now."

"Great. I already got the pizzas, all that's missing is you."

I chuckled. "God, shut up. You're cheesier than the pizza."

"That's a compliment. That means I'm nicer than pizza."

"No one's nicer than pizza." My phone buzzed. My cab was almost here.

"Not even your boyfriend?"

"I'd get rid of you in a heartbeat for free pizza."

"Ouch." I could hear Trace laugh despite his offended tone. He suddenly cut off, I heard a soft mumble.