Setting Up Camp and Finding Sofia

Daryl's Point of View

Son of a bitch why couldn't these people just shut up. Bad enough I had to sleep in this shitty R.V. but to top it all off, these people were a mess. Carol couldn't stop cryin' and Andrea had picked up this annoying habit of takin' guns apart and putting 'em back together when everyone else was tryin'a sleep. I tried not to think of Kenzie too much so I could get some rest, but I was really starting to miss our makeshift bed in the back of Merle's truck.

Whatever. I could bitch n' moan, or I could get somethin' done. No use in layin' here with these people any longer than I had to. I slowly got up from the floor of the R.V. and grabbed my crossbow before walking over to the table Andrea was sat at.

"Need my clip now," I told Andrea, holding my hand out as she handed it back to me, giving me a quizzical look, "I'm gonna walk the road, look for the girl," I stated before turning around and making my way out of the vehicle.

"I'm coming too," Andrea piped up, following me out of the R.V. and onto the road with a flashlight as her only defense. I didn't bother protesting; I knew how argumentative she was. I don't know how Kenzie went through with that. I sure as hell couldn't. If Andrea didn't know how to roll with the punches, she'd figure it out soon enough. Wasn't gonna waste my breath tellin' 'er so.

"I'm goin' fer a walk, shine some light in the forest," I called up to Dale, who was keepin' watch on top of the R.V., "If she's out there it'll give 'er somethin' to look at," I thought aloud, continuing the trail I'd planned in my head.

"You think that's a good idea right now?" Dale asked, concern evident in his voice before gettin' cut off by an ornery Andrea. That's the shit I was talkin' 'bout. No way in hell I'm dealin' with that if I can't help it, so I just kept on walkin'. We made it a few paces into the trees before Andrea broke the silence I went out here to get.

"You really think we're gonna find Sofia?" These people always thought it was time for bondin'.

"You got that look on yer face, same as everybody else," I sighed, shakin' my head, "The hell's wrong with you people... We just started lookin'." She looked down at her feet for a few seconds before speakin' up again.

"Well, do you?" She pried, lookin' over at me.

"It ain't the mountains of Tibet, it's Georgia," I snapped, already getting annoyed with Andrea's decision to tag along, "She could be holed up in a farmhouse somewhere." I shined my flashlight around, lookin' through the darkness as I walked, "People get lost, they survive," I continued matter-of-factly, "Happens all the time."

"She's only twelve," Andrea protested yet again. I don't know what she was tryin'a get at, but god was it gettin' on my nerves.

"Hell, I was younger 'n that when I got lost," I challenged, "Nine days in the woods eatin' berries n' wipin' my ass with poison oak," I thought back to my time in the woods as a kid. Sure, I was scared shitless, but I found my way back alright. Sofia would too.

"They found you?" Andrea asked in disbelief, seemingly interested in my past life. I just shook my head.

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress and Merle was doin' another stint in juvie; didn't even know I was gone," I drifted off, thinking about Merle before startin' up again, "Made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen n' made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear, 'cept my ass itched somethin' awful," I finished, shootin' Andrea a look as she tried to hold back laughter.

"Sorry," she held her hand up in defeat, "That's a terrible story," she attempted to sympathize, but this time we both started laughing. Much as I hated to admit, it was pretty funny thinkin' back on it.