Chapter 2

Kalen

Harper loved to experiment with makeup. Anything he wanted, I would buy for him. No matter how expensive it was. One time, Harper had told me that if he hadn't found his mate that he would've moved to the human city of Los Angeles in America to become a makeup artist. Showcasing his looks on the biggest celebrities around.

But when he stumbled onto my pack lands and met me, he gave up his dreams and stayed with me. Of course, I felt bad that he gave up everything for me. But I don't know what I would do without Harper.

Almost every female and some males came to Harper for him to do their makeup. From pack events to a casual day out. How he balances his job as Luna and doing makeup, I have no idea. He got paid a hefty amount of money for his job. I even built him a studio where he could keep all his supplies and work.

Now, as I watch Harper apply a modest amount of eyeshadow, a warm feeling spreads through me.

"Harper."

"Hmm?"

"Come 'ere."

Harper smiles, hopping down from his chair and onto our bed, climbing onto my lap. He kisses me softly, his lightly glossed lips tasting of vanilla. When he pulls away, my lips feel sticky. I run my tongue along my lips, partially making the stickiness go away.

Harper giggles, reaching over to grab a makeup wipe and cleaning off my lips. I am left with the none too pleasant tingling sensation from the wipe.

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright today, baby?"

I sigh, pulling Harper's body closer to mine. Today was Sunday. We still held family gatherings on Sundays. My Uncle Sage stayed as far away as he could from me and I was fine with that. If he was close to me I might be tempted to punch him in his stupid face.

"I'll be fine. I have you to keep me company." Harper laughs as I nuzzle into his neck. He pushes playfully at my chest as I nip at his skin.

"I know you'll be fine, but I can't help but worry about you. Things have only gotten worse between you two. And I fear something bad will happen. I want you to have fun today with your family. I want you and Sage in separate rooms at all times. Please."

"Okay. I want you to have a good time as well though. I don't want you babysitting me throughout the day because you're worried about me. Come on then, let's get you dressed. If we take too long to get ready there won't be any more brownies left for us."

Harper rolls off of me and rushes to get his clothes from out walk-in closet. I laugh at how speedy he was being in dressing himself. He loved anything with chocolate in it. And now that he knew there were brownies, he would be on a warpath. Anyone who dares to get in his way would pay the price.

I smooth out my white long-sleeved shirt as I stand. I lead Harper out of our bedroom and down to the family room.

Harper squeals as he sees the stack of brownies and runs over to steal one. Dad and Fa laugh as Harper's outstretched hands are smacked away by my grandfather Eden.

Eden didn't like to be called grandpa or anything of the sort. Since werewolves can potentially live forever we don't age past a certain year, we all looked youthful and healthy. Even though he was well into his fifties, he still looked like a teenager. He could pass as being my younger brother if he wanted to.

Eden smiles wide when he sees me, rushing over to hug me. I return his warm embrace, stifling a laugh when I see Harper stealing the now unattended brownies. He winks at me, giggling as he hands two of the three brownies to my parents.

"He's taking my damn brownies, ain't he?"

I can't help the laugh that bubbles up from me. Eden pulls away from me and makes eye contact with Harper and my parents. All three of them had chocolate residue around their lips.

For the next couple of minutes were spent with Eden scolding the brownie thieves while my two brothers and I sat laughing on the couch.

"What's goin on in here," A voice says from behind us. My other grandfather Zaryn and my cousins Flynn and Izak stand in the entryway.

Flynn and Izak were my Uncles' children. My Uncle Adrian carried both pups. Sage fathered Flynn and my other Uncle Fallon fathered Izak. They did not want any more children after Izak. He was a handful, to say the least. While Flynn was quiet and well mannered, Izak was hyper and loud.

Izak was diagnosed with ADHD when he was seven years old. It was rare for werewolves to have medical disorders but somehow Izak was more susceptible I guess. Izak was an amazing guy, no doubt, but it took a lot to raise him.

When he found his mate Marnie, she rejected him for another man who she deemed more manly and capable. Izak wasn't broken up about it though as everyone expected him to be. He met a human named Naomi and fell in love with her. Naomi was beautiful. Deep black hair and mocha skin. She had beautiful brown eyes framed by thick eyelashes. She was dainty and kind. A perfect match for Izak.

Even though they were not mates, they held a love for each other like mates held for their other half. Once he was sure that Naomi was the one, he proposed to her at the age of twenty. When he revealed to her that he was a werewolf, she reacted as any human would. She was scared and stayed away from him. But eventually came back to Izak. Now Naomi lived with Izak in the packhouse.

Flynn was a different story. He found his mate when he was twenty-two. Corey, an Alpha from a growing pack near us. He was thirty-two at the time. They met when we were discussing a treaty between our packs. He lived with Corey at his pack but every Sunday he would come to visit us. He and Corey were talking about adopting a pup. He was happy which made my Uncles happy.

It was clear from Zaryn's expression that he missed Flynn. He always had a special bond with his firstborn grandpup. It didn't bother me though. Maybe it was because he still treated all of his grandpups fairly and equally. Unlike some people...

"Harper stole some of the brownies that Eden made," I say, my eyes snapping up to meet my Uncle Sage's as he walks into the room with his mates. His eyes narrow when they lock onto mine.

"Good Goddess, Eden. Let the boy take a few. You made five dozen brownies, you can stand to lose a few to Harper. There is more than enough for everyone." Zaryn says.

Eden huffs, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms over his chest. Still, he lets a smile slip. Flynn embraces his parents before moving to Eden who welcomes him with open arms.

I hop off the couch and greet Izak and Flynn after they finish talking to Eden.

"Kalen," Flynn smiles sweetly. "How are you and Harper doing?"

"We are fine. How is Corey treating you lately?"

"Oh, he's such a sweetheart. He treats me like a prince. He couldn't come today because there was an issue with pack matters. But he sends his regards."

"Kalen," Izak says, drawing out the 'n' in my name. I sigh, knowing he wants me to do something for him. "Will you please get me a glass of water from the kitchen?"

I sigh, nodding my head yes. I ruffle his hair as I walk past him. I smile as he whoops happily, pumping his fist into the air in triumph.

The smile on my face disappears as Sage deliberately slams his shoulder into mine as he walks past me on his way into the living room.

I snarl a warning to back off at Sage and he growls back. A mistake. My wolf bristles at the intentional challenge in Sage's growl. He should know not to upset an Alpha.

This would not end well for Sage...