Chapter 4

***Des, Ithis - age 7***

Death materialized in his living room with Des and looked around. He winced at the mess his house had become under Life’s care.

“Papa? Are you home? PAPA!” Des yelled.

Life came running downstairs and scooped the boy up into his arms, “There you are!!” he said, hugging his son tight, “Do you have any idea how much I missed you?”

“A whole bunch?!” Des asked, giggling as Life squeezed him.

“A million times more than that!” he replied, peppering the boys face with kisses.

“Eww! Martian kisses!!”

“GAH!! I’m not a Martian!!” Life roared. He dropped Des onto the couch and tickled him until he begged.

Death stood to the side smiling as he watched the two play. Finally he cleared his throat to get Life’s attention.

Life looked up from where he was still holding Des, threatening to tickle him more, “Uh oh, Des. I think someone is jealous. Perhaps we should get your father too?”

“Life, no…don’t even…no!!” he cried as he tried to evade when Life dove for him.

“Get him papa!!”

Life grabbed Death around the waist and held him tight, “You think I didn’t miss you to?” he asked softly before giving him a soft kiss.

“Ewww! That’s disgusting!” Des cried.

Death and Life laughed. They all heard the door the back garden open and close and soon, Madness entered the room.

“MADNESS!” Des cried and launched himself at his best friend.

“Little spaghaaaa!!” he cried as he fell backwards into the floor. He groaned while Des attacked him with questions about his activities over the last few days. Before the boy could get going to much, Death pulled him off Madness and Life helped him up.

“Are you ok?” Life asked as he laughed.

“Nothing broke.” He said, rubbing the back of his head, “Maybe.”

“Des, sweetheart, calm down. I know you missed him. You cant just tackle him like that. You might hurt him.” Death scolded but with a slight smile.

Des blushed, “I’m sorry Madness.”

“No problem…IF I can get a decent hug…off the floor.”

Des grinned and hugged friend, giggling when Madness picked him up and spun him around.

“Did you enjoy your trip?” he asked.

“Yes! Grandfather is great! He made me chocolate pancakes for breakfast and let me eat all the sweets I wanted and stay up super late too!” Des said happily. “I wish you could have gone with us. I missed you and you would have had fun!”

“Ahhhh, I can not. Not safe.”

“I know. Father told me. Do you want to see the books grandfather gave me? He said even Wisdom doesn’t have these!” Des said.

“Yes. We can go to your room and read the books.” He replied, setting the boy down then chasing him up the stairs.

The second they were up the stairs, Death collapsed onto the couch and groaned. “I am NEVER doing that again! EVER!”

Life laughed, “Was it that bad?” he asked, sitting on the edge of the couch and caressing Deaths cheek.

“It was like having two 6 year olds. Worse I’m sure because father is tall enough to reach things. They were insane. I’m surprised Des can even function. He’s had so much candy and sweets…it’s not normal. It was a 3 day sugar binge.” Death whined.